Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
December 6, 2007 – 11:00 a.m.
Present: Michael Sheng (HST), Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Beat Kernen (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), and Lorene Stone.Special guests from the Office of Sponsored Research were Bill Alter, Bruce Richards, Tracey Poston, and Marina Zordell-Reed.
Dean Stone introduced Bill Alter who had asked for time to expound upon the mission of the Office of Sponsored Research.He distributed handouts outlining that mission and introduced his co-workers who elaborated on specific areas of the process to include seeking, acquiring, and sustaining external funding to support University-based research, education and service projects and assuring that activities are conducted in compliance with governmental regulations and University policies.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
December 7 CHPA End-of-Semester Reception (11:00-1:00 p.m., STRO 212)
December 7 Provost Forum (Dept. & College Budgeting) (2:30 p.m., PSU 315)
December 11 CHPA Retirement Reception (3:00-5:00 p.m., CAR)
December 14 BOG/CHPA Graduate Reception (10:30, Atrium) / MSU Commencement (12:30 p.m., Hammons Student Center)
- Dean Stone announced that six out of 13 university-wide Summer Fellowships for 2008 were received by CHPA faculty: Leslie Baynes (REL), Steve Berkwitz (REL), David Gutzke (HST), Aida Hass (CRM), Bill Meadows (ANT), and Liz Sobel (ANT).
- Department Reports on Student Success are due to the Dean as soon as possible so she can provide the College Report to the Provost by December 14.
- Dean Stone advised Department Heads that the minimum wage increase to $6.65 (as of January 1, 2008) might necessitate a cut-back in hours for those workers involved.
- A reminder was made that the Department Annual Report is due to the Dean in January.
- Each of the Department Heads reported on their search/hiring updates, all expressing positive outlooks for timely selections.