Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
August 7, 2008 – 9:30 a.m.
Present: Ardeshir Dalal (ECO), Tom Dicke (HST), Kirby Hanson (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI), Kant Patel (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), John Harms (SOC/ANT/CRM), and Victor Matthews.
- The revised date for the All College Meeting is August 28.
- Dr. Matthews announced that some Associate Dean duties would be assumed temporarily by others:
1. Nadja Gardner will manage the CHPA website. Pertinent information for the college newsletter should be forwarded to her.
2. Beginning in September, Dr. Sailors will assume managerial responsibility for area studies programs. Additionally, she will
serve as the contact person for Digital Measures, the on-line storage system for faculty accomplishments. Faculty should
be encouraged to include speeches delivered or any board service in the Public Service area of their vitae.
- The News-Leader has asked again this year for a list of books which could be reviewed, together with the names of volunteers willing to review them. All faculty are eligible and should be encouraged to participate. Names of books and volunteers should be submitted to Dr. Matthews.
Dr. Matthews asked the Department Heads for any additions or corrections to a list of new CHPA faculty distributed to them earlier; there were no changes at this time.
Submission of intersession proposals will be discussed at the Deans’ Retreat. Once the policy is formalized, it will be posted on the Provost’s website.
Department Heads were referred to the Provost’s August 1st memo regarding selection of members of a Dean’s Search Committee. Plans are to appoint a committee with representation from each department and each rank (to include instructors), a department head, and the college development officer. CHPA departments will be asked to elect a nominee at each rank for the committee and the Provost will select one person from each unit to serve. Other persons may also be added to the committee based on input and Dean Tammy Jahnke has agreed to chair the committee. Caroline Reardon, a search consultant, will be assisting the committee.
- Proposed university policy procedures (workload, formal warning process, compensation plan, intersession and on-line compensation) were discussed. Dr. Matthews will announce when these policies have been finalized by the Provost’s office.
- In order to aid with fiscal planning, Dr. Matthews asked the Department Heads to furnish:
1. The number of sabbatical applications expected for 2009-2010
2. Names of potential retirees
3. Possible funding requests from departments for research projects, software, meetings, travel (overseas and domestic) and
conferences. These requests will be brought to the Department Heads for discussion.
4. A new round of CHPO incentive proposals ($150 K) with two deadlines for submission on September 5 and October 5.
- In preparation for the Deans’ Retreat, input from the Department Heads was solicited on:
1. Any particular successes or problems associated with advising (comments from the Student Success Survey may be an
2. Efforts to improve graduate student recruitment
3. Suggestions on professional development for Department Heads
4. Feedback on external review process for promotion and tenure
5. Development of new on-line courses vs. television courses (which modality is most useful; plans for the future)