Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
August 28, 2008 – 9:30 a.m.
Present: Ardeshir Dalal (ECO), Tom Dicke (HST), Kirby Hanson (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI), George Connor (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), and Victor Matthews. Donna Merrell (CHPA Director of Development) was a guest.
Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- September 5 First deadline for submission of CHPA Incentive Initiative Proposals
- September 9 Richard Salomon, “Rediscovering a Lost World of Early Buddhism” (3:30 p.m., LIB 101)
- September 15 AAA (3:00 p.m., PSU 400)
- September 18 OTC Campus Visit (3:00-5:00 p.m., PSU 400)
- September 20 CHPA Picnic (5:00-7:00 p.m., Phelps Grove Pavillion)
- October 5 Second deadline for submission of CHPA Incentive Initiative Proposals
- October 6 Submission deadline for Faculty Research grant applications
- October 8 CHPA Scholarship Banquet (6:00-8:00 p.m., Kentwood)
- October 14 Submission deadline: Summer Fellowship application
- First-week-of-school issues (room changes, keys for new faculty, etc.) were discussed. Dr. Matthews announced that due to a misunderstanding space is still available in ECO 397, Asian Economics, meeting on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 11:00 a.m.
- Dr. Matthews asked the Department Heads for suggestions on improving enrollment management and referred to a pertinent template forwarded to them earlier. He distributed a handout containing enrollment data for the last four years to aid in making projections, and asked for each department’s enrollment plans by November 15.
- Recruitment goals and strategies were discussed. Dr. Matthews stressed the importance of updated departmental web pages and brochures. Discussion included major recruitment activities such as Majors Fair and the Springfield College Fair.
- Dr. Matthews announced that the College Compensation Committee would meet with the Heads on September 5 (2:00-3:30) and that he will need revised departmental plans by October 3. He asked the Department Heads to familiarize themselves with all CHPA department plans prior to the meeting.
- Addressing the topic of Public Affairs in the Curriculum, Dr. Kunkel cited his department’s proposed pre-test/post-test survey assessment, copies of which Dr. Matthews will send to all Department Heads.