Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
April 3, 2008 – 11:00 a.m.
Present: Michael Sheng (HST), Brendan McKiernan(MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), George Connor (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Victor Matthews and Lorene Stone.
Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- April 4 Open Forum with Provost (PSU 400, 3:00-4:30 p.m.)
- April 12 Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum (PSU, 8:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m.)
- April 15-18 Public Affairs Conference.Widespread faculty and student involvement is encouraged.
- April 18 Faculty C.V.s due to Dean’s office
- April 28 AAA (PSU 400, 3:00-4:30 p.m.)
- Michael Sheng (HST) announced that he has taken an administrative position with the University of Akron (Ohio) effective July 1, 2008.
- Dean Stone announced that Jamaine Abidogun (HST) has been named Director of Secondary Education.
- Dean Stone repeated an earlier inquiry with regard to attending a conference in late June (Evaluating Faculty Performance in the Classroom), adding that Chris Craig (Associate Provost for Faculty) would like at least one representative from each college to attend.Those interested in this conference should contact her promptly.
- The Department Heads were informed that money is available to hire Graduate Assistants this summer for the Digital Measures project.Interested applicants’ names should be forwarded to the Dean’s Office.
- Due to Banner implementation, changes in schedule building will require the spring ’09 schedule to be submitted by May 5 and the fall ’09 schedule this summer, preferably before the CHPA Retreat.The HST 2-year schedule posted on their website can be used for comparison/implementation purposes.
- Agreement was reached that the Department Heads’ meeting time next year (starting July 1) will be from 9:30 to 11:00 a.m. on Thursdays.
- A majority of the Department Heads attended one of the two Tenure/Promotion Review sessions offered last week.With six CHPA faculty members eligible for tenure in 2008-2009, the Department Heads should encourage those faculty to ensure they have a strong record before choosing either the fifth or sixth year to proceed and to furnish outside reviewers’ names to the Dean’s office by the end of the semester
- Program Review Guidelines are now posted on the Provost’s website.John Catau, Associate Provost, has established the date of June 30 to select external consultants.Recommendations should be given to him after consultation with the Dean, and he will contact the consultants.
- Department Heads were encouraged to attend the Open Forum with the Provost tomorrow to discuss the Compensation Plan and related issues of concern identified by faculty. Suggestions for subsequent cycles of the plan were discussed to ensure that all faculty understand the processes used to determine rankings.