Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
April 24, 2008 – 11:00 a.m.
Present: Michael Sheng (HST), Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), George Connor (PLS), Jack Llewellyn (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Victor Matthews and Lorene Stone.
Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
- April 28 AAA (PSU 400, 3:00-4:30 p.m.)
- May 5 CHPA End-of-Semester/Retirement Reception (Atrium, 3:30-5:00).The three retirees to be honored are Alice Bartee (PLS), Robin Amonker (SOC/ANT/CRM), and Gary Brock (SOC/ANT/CRM).
- May 16 CHPA Graduate Reception (Atrium, 11:30 a.m.)
- May 16 CHPA Commencement (Hammons Student Center, 1:30 p.m.)
- Department Heads were asked to submit their nominations (or lack thereof) for University Committees to Dr. Matthews.
- The CHPA Majors Survey is now available from a link on the college web page.All majors are encouraged to complete the survey which is anonymous and cannot be completed more than once.
- Dean Stone repeated her offer to send new CHPA Department Heads to a Department Head Conference.
- Dean Stone announced that until Bill Alter’s position is filled, Jim Baker will serve as Acting Director of Sponsored Research.She encouraged the Department Heads to remind faculty to use the internal routing sheet required in grant writing in order to trigger the college’s incentive award process.
- The job description for Associate Provost for Student Development and Public Affairs has been distributed.The Provost has indicated that a hiring search firm would be utilized to fill this position.
- The use of per course faculty in General Education classes was discussed with emphasis placed on the administration’s desire to use full-time faculty in these classes whenever possible.
- The university will move to Centralized Scheduling in Fall 2009.Department Heads were cautioned that this might result in the loss of priority classrooms.
- Dean Stone will submit reallocated department operations budgets tomorrow to Kent Kay (Chief Financial Officer) and will share the final results with Department Heads the first part of next week.
- Dr. Matthews addressed issues involved with the new Banner software system.He stated that training will begin this fall for secretaries and Department Heads with regard to building schedules and the advisement process.
- After receipt of a template from Dr. Matthews, the Department Heads were asked to submit their Department Standards for Senior Instructor drafts to him by Wednesday, April 30, for review by the Dean’s office.
- Dean Stone asked the Department Heads for initial drafts of Department Plans on Incorporating Public Affairs into Curriculum/Major prior to the Deans’ summer retreat.
- The Provost has indicated that the tenure/promotion process in 2008-2009 will require entire portfolios be sent to the Provost’s office, and she will interview all candidates before final decisions are made.
- Possible dates for the CHPA Department Heads’ Retreat in Branson (July 21 and 22 or July 23 and 24) were discussed.Department Heads were asked to e-mail their preference to Nadja.