CHPA Department Heads Meeting
April 19, 2012
Present: Victor Matthews, Pam Sailors, George Connor, Ardeshir Dalal, Craig Hemmens, Kathleen Kennedy, Jack Llewellyn, Bill Wedenoja, Troy Wisdom
- Enrollment for summer and fall 2012 classes: Heads were asked to examine their enrollment totals and to give consideration to those classes with low numbers. Intersession courses with low enrollment will be cancelled at the end of the spring 2012 semester. Fall classes can go a bit longer – probably until the beginning of SOAR registration, but faculty should make every effort to advertise their courses.
- Annual Evaluation Process: Heads were thanked for their work with the annual evaluation process. As has been our tradition and as a “best practice,” each full-time faculty member is expected to meet with their Head to discuss the accomplishments during the past year and to negotiate their weights and workload in the coming year.
- Promotion and Tenure process: A general discussion occurred as Heads listed those faculty who have indicated a desire to apply for promotion and/or tenure in the coming year. Caution was expressed about choosing external reviewers. For those who could not attend the Dean’s workshop, his slide show is available upon request.
- Hiring: At this point several searches are still ongoing, but should be completed within the next month. The Hiring Plan for FY14 will be presented by the Dean to the Provost at their monthly meeting next week. It will include the search for a Head in SOC/ANT, and Assistant Professors in Economics, History, and Sociology.
- Fund Raising Efforts: George Connor discussed the recent reception for PLS alumni at Steven Bough’s home in Kansas City. Troy Wisdom discussed planned efforts to begin raising funds for a new ROTC building.