Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
April 12, 2007 – 11:00 a.m.
Michael Sheng (HST), Craig Halsey (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Beat Kernen (PLS), Jim Moyer (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Lorene Stone and Victor Matthews.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
April 14 MSU Graduate Interdisciplinary Forum (Plaster Student Union).
April 17-20 Public Affairs Conference.Dean Stone encouraged CHPA representation and visibility.
May 7 Remunerated Outside Activities form for 2006 due to Department Heads.
May 8 Retirement/End-of-Semester Reception (STRO Atrium, 3:30-5:00 p.m.)CHPA retirees are LaMoine DeVries (REL), Bert Helm (PHI), and Jon Moran (PHI)
May 10 LEAD Institute Presentation (Fuldner Lounge, JKHHPA, 3:00-4:30 p.m.)
Topic will be advancement and external monies.
May 18 CHPA Graduate Reception (STRO Atrium, 2:30 p.m.)
MSU Commencement (Hammons Student Center, 5:00 p.m.)
- Dean Stone will be in China from April 17-28; Dr. Matthews will handle any College emergencies.
- The CHPA Spring Newsletter should be distributed next week.Any last-minute information to be included can be given to John Chuchiak.
- Spring 2007 Faculty Research/University Grants have been awarded to Liz Sobel (ANT) and David Mitchell/Reed Olsen (ECO).
- Faculty interested in the position of Provost’s Fellow in Public Affairs should be encouraged to apply.One of the primary duties of this position is to chair the Public Affairs Conference.
- Frederic W. Ness Book Award nominations are due May 1 for any faculty member who published a qualifying book between January 1 and December 31, 2006.
- Department Heads discussed the recent OTC Visit as being productive, but suggested that the agenda for future meetings might need to be more structured.
- Dean Stone asked the Department Heads to begin thinking about hiring plans for 2007-08 searches since the Provost has indicated she will require plans for open lines as well as copies of ads.Dean Stone reminded the Department Heads that salaries are established by CUPA data, so that entry level salaries are competitive.
- Dean Stone stated that the Provost will require a Faculty Assignment Policy at the department level by 2008 to include expected workloads for faculty.Discussion emphasized the need to have consistency between departments, and all Department Heads agreed that this topic should be placed on the summer heads’ retreat agenda.
- The topic of Tenure/Promotion documents was discussed.It was suggested that departments work on these documents at their August retreats.Dean Stone will require every department to do revisions, including the use of external reviewers and the recognition of applied research, etc.
- Compensation Plan updates included:
- Dean Stone stated she has received three appeals which will be discussed at a CHPA Compensation Committee meeting today.
- The Compensation Matrix has been approved by the Provost and will be placed on CHPA’s web page next week.
- Final salary adjustments are due to Financial Services soon.
- The Provost wants the Compensation Guidelines revised soon, and department committees should be working on this by the end of the semester, setting weights and goals for the coming year.The Provost wants to see an annual evaluation for every faculty member every year.
- Dean Stone tentatively scheduled the Department Heads’ Retreat for July 9 and 10.