Minutes - CHPA Department Heads’ Meeting
August 31, 2017
Present: Victor Matthews, Pam Sailors, Ken Brown, George Connor, Brett Garland, Kathleen Kennedy, Jack Llewellyn, Elizabeth Foreman, David Rohall
- Revisions in the General Education program: Concerns were raised with courses recently added to the GE program and it was requested that efforts be taken to limit the number of new courses in the future that are proposed.
- Study Away Proposals – Heads were asked to assist the Dean in advertising study away opportunities and to provide pictures that could go into the blog.
- Modifications in the spring 2018 schedule – With new faculty in place and a number of changes being made in the spring schedule, Heads were asked to update those changes with the Dean’s office to insure we know what rooms have been taken in Strong Hall.
- Reactions to the discussion of restructuring the summer schedule – Dicke survey indicates more support for a 10 week rather than a 12 week summer schedule period.
- Potential for the creation of undergraduate or graduate certificates with a focus on credentialing – Departments are asked to begin the discussion of whether new certificate programs are desirable and feasible given recent changes in the curriculum and the hiring of new faculty.
- Dean’s mentoring sessions with new and 2nd year faculty – this new initiative to assist and retain new faculty will begin in September. Heads are asked to provide topic ideas.
- Budgeting process – a conversation with Laurie Wilson contained information on new procedures and an assurance of good “customer service” for faculty and departments.
Advancement Lunch & Learn programs are starting up again and Heads should look through the list of workshops to see if they could benefit from attending.
SGA is planning to ask students to vote on establishing College representatives to Faculty Senate. The vote will take place during Homecoming Week.
Football game on September 23 – CHPA has access to the Skybox and additional names are needed to help fill the box for the game.
Major Equipment Requests are being solicited by the Provost’s office. Let the Dean know if you plan to make a request.
AAA on September 18 will include dialogue on cutting costs for textbooks, the proposed change to 120 hour graduation requirement, and revisions in summer scheduling period.
Upcoming events and deadlines:
August 31 Department Heads deadline to send materials to External Reviewers
Sept 6 Cops on Campus from 11-1:00 in the BearFest Village area near MacDonald Arena
Sept 9-15 Public Affairs Week (Naturalization on the 13th in PSU Theater)
September 14 Deadline to submit Citizen Scholar Award nominations to Student Affairs
September 15--17 Family Weekend
September 17 Dr. Eboo Patel on "Better Together: Bridging Interfaith Barriers" at 7:30 in PSU Theater.
September 18 Census Date: turn in PAFs for faculty teaching on-line classes
September 18 Alice Bartee Speaker Series: Patricia Breckenridge (Missouri Supreme Court Chief Justice-Outgoing), 5:30 pm, Kentwood Hall Crystal Room
Sept 20-22 Rosh Hashanah Holiday
September 27 Majors Fair - PSU Ballroom
September 29 Faculty submit Tenure and/or Promotion dossier to Department Heads and
External Reviews due to Department Heads for inclusion in the dossier