CHPA Department Heads’ Meeting
October 6, 2016
Present: Victor Matthews, Pam Sailors, Steve Berkwitz, Ken Brown George Connor, Andy Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy, Scott Morris, David Rohall, Patti Salinas (for Brett Garland)
Guest: Andrea Mostyn (University Communications)
- MSU News Services: Andrea Mostyn explained the role of University Communications and solicited information on happenings in the college.
- Promotion/Tenure candidates: all candidates except one have submitted their portfolios and the department committees are reviewing them.
- Advising Students: some concern was raised about how other departments may be advising their students, which could have an impact on CHPA course enrollments.
- Intersession proposals – summer and fall 2017 (due Oct. 28 to Dean)
- Scholarship Banquet: Pam Sailors will MC and she asked the Heads to limit their remarks.
- Homecoming Events:CRM, REL, and MIL are planning events for students and alumni.
- Search Recap: Two searches have had their reviewed pools approved and should be inviting candidates to campus prior to Thanksgiving while several others are accumulating candidates into their pools.
- Productivity data:the report provided by Michelle Olsen (IR) provides information that can be used in annual reports and program reviews.
- United Way/MSU Way campaigns: Heads were asked to encourage their faculty to consider contributing to one or both of these annual fund raising campaigns.
- Mid-term grades due Oct 17. – Second Block courses begin soon with a new HST 122 just added.
Dates and Deadlines:
Oct 6 Political Science Department presents Barbara Hines, retired clinical professor of
law and co-Director of the Immigration Clinic at the University of Texas at Austin
speaking on "US Immigration Policy & the Crisis Central America," 6:30; Karls 101.
Oct 7 Deadline for the fall round of funding for Study Away Exploratory Travel Fund Proposals
Oct 7 Deadline for FCTL Faculty Stipends for Integrating Diversity into Teaching and Learning
Oct 10 CHPA Scholarship Banquet, Kentwood Hall Crystal Room, 6:00-7:30 pm
Oct 14-15 Homecoming Week
Oct 17 Fall 2016 mid-term Grades due by 2:00 pm
Oct 18 PLS and CHPA present Stephen McDonald, speaking on “Africa Rising” at 7:00 pm in LIB 101
Oct 20 University Advancement Workshop Series: Crowdfunding -- 2 sessions: 8-9:00 am
in PSU 313 and 3:30-4:30 pm in PSU 308
Oct 21 Dept. Committee submits Promotion recommendations (with rationale) to Heads
Faculty applicants receive committee reports and must review, sign, and return to
Department within three business days (Oct. 24-26, 2016)
Oct 27 Pamela Klassen lecture, “Medicine and Religion as Techniques of Intervention in the Lives of
Others," 5:00 pm, KARLS 101