Any student who makes less than a 1.00 GPA in a semester or who fails to remove him/herself from scholastic probation may be suspended. If you have been placed on Academic Suspension, you will receive a notice by mail and email from the College of Health and Human Services (CHHS) Dean's Office.
If you are placed on Academic Suspension, you have the option to appeal if there are extenuating circumstances that led to poor academic performance (i.e. illness, hospitalization, death in the family). Appeals are heard by the CHHS Scholastic Appeals Committee, a panel of CHHS Faculty Members, on the Thursday before Spring, Summer and Fall Semesters begin. As part of the appeals process, you are required to do the following:
- Write a letter explaining the extenuating circumstances that interfered with your academic performance, provide appropriate documentation, and your plan for future success. This information must be in the CHHS Dean's Office by noon on the Wednesday before classes start. Please include your full name, M# and telephone number on the letter.
- Call the CHHS Dean's Office at 417-836-4176 by noon on the Wednesday before classes start to make an appointment to appear before the Scholastic Appeals Committee.
- Appear at your scheduled appointment with the Scholastic Appeals Committee to discuss your situation.
- Following your meeting with the Scholastic Appeals Committee, the committee will make a recommendation to the Dean regarding your reinstatement. You may check your academic status after 6 p.m. on that Thursday. To find your academic status, log onto My Missouri State (using your User ID and Password). Go to the Registration tab, then My Registration channel. Select the Registration Status link. You may also phone the Dean's Office after 9 a.m. on the Friday before classes begin.
- If you are reinstated, you will need to follow the conditions of the reinstatement listed under Academic Status located here.
- If you have not already registered for classes, you will need to see your Academic Advisor.
If you decide not to appeal at the time of your suspension or an appeal is not granted, you may apply for reinstatement at the end of one semester of absence (excluding Summer semester) unless you were previously suspended. If previously suspended, you may not apply for reinstatement for one full year. At the time of reinstatement, you will be required to:
- Contact Admissions and Records to make sure you are admitted to Missouri State University.
- Write a letter of appeals explaining why you did not do as well as you hoped and your plan for success. Forward this letter to the College of Health and Human Services (CHHS), Dean's Office - 901 S. National Ave., Springfield MO 65897.
- Call the CHHS Dean's Office (417-836-4176) to schedule an appointment with the Dean for reinstatement
- Conditions for reinstatement may be placed upon you, which may include but are not limited to one or more of the following:
- Enrollment credit hours limited
- Repeat courses in which you previously earned a "D" or "F" grade
- Regularly meet with the appropriate advisor for your major