As per Faculty Senate approved criteria: A general education course coordinator, with assistance from faculty who teach the course will document and assess student learning based upon the proposed general education plan. Documentation of an assessment/course review will be uploaded every four years (see Tentative Timeline below). Use of annual reports and CGEIP feedback from the annual reports will be useful in preparing the periodic review. The periodic review will take place every four years; however, course coordinators should follow their course review process as indicated in the original proposal approved for admission into the MSU Revised General Education (beginning Fall 2014).
Information that will be included in your Periodic Review
- Reflection on each of the Specific Learning Outcomes (SLOs) the course covers (reflection should include the following information and be approximately 250 words):
- Level of success meeting Specific Learning Outcome
- Evidence used to assess
- How was the original proposal modified or refined?
- What items were chosen for action based on assessment?
- What actions did you take based upon your reflection of the assessment?
- Optional: Upload an assessment tool, assignment or other material that was used to assess student learning of general goal and specific learning outcome (to send these materials email it to Council on General Education and Intercollegiate Programs with the subject containing Periodic Review Attachment and the Course Code).
- Summary on how General Goals are met, based on the reflection of the SLOs (approximately 150 words).
- Syllabi for each instructor for the previous academic year (submitted as one PDF in an email attachment to Council on General Education and Intercollegiate Programs with the subject containing Periodic Review Syllabus and the Course Code).
- Enrollment data summary. Reflect on the enrollment data that is provided to the Course Coordinators and Department Heads since the last periodic review. Do you see this maintaining the same, decreasing, increasing? Explain your answer.
Periodic Review Form
Click on the link below to take you to the periodic review form in order to complete and submit it by your due date in the Timeline listed below.
Period Review Timeline
Foundations area courses – Spring 2021
- First-Year Seminar, Written Communications & Information Literacy, and Oral Communication (Due: February 15, 2021)
- Quantitative Literacy and Written Communication & Integrative and Applied Learning (Due: March 15, 2021)
Breadth of Knowledge: Human Cultures – Spring 2018
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (Due: January 15, 2018)
- Humanities (Due: February 15, 2018)
- Arts (Due: March 15, 2018)
Breadth of Knowledge: Natural World – Spring 2019
- Life Sciences (Due: January 15, 2019)
- Physical Sciences (Due: February 15, 2019)
Breadth of Knowledge: Public Affairs – Spring 2020
- US & MO Constitutions/American History & Institutions (Due: January 15, 2020)
- Cultural Competence (Due: February 15, 2020)
- Public Issues (Due: March 15, 2020)
CGEIP will review the submitted material and discuss it in the month(s) following the due date of the periodic review. CGEIP will then provide the Course Coordinator and Department Head comments on their periodic review submission.