Transfer from Out-of-State to Missouri

How do I transfer my certification to Missouri from another state?

You hold a professional teaching certificate and/or have completed a teacher preparation program from another state and wish to become certified in Missouri

An applicant who possesses a valid professional certificate from another state may be granted a Missouri certificate in an area most closely aligned to the certification if Missouri issues such certificate. If an educator is completing or has completed a teacher education program in another state (either on campus or online), it would be beneficial to obtain that state's certificate whether one plans to reside in that state or not. In most cases, a Missouri certificate is issued with no further coursework or test requirements.  If an area of certification is not equivalent, an educator may be evaluated based upon Missouri's current requirements for the most closely aligned certificate.

In order to transfer a valid certificate from another state to Missouri, please visit the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) website and download the "out of state packet" by visiting this DESE website.

How do I Transfer my certification to Missouri from another country?

You have completed a teacher preparation program in another country

  • The Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) is unable to evaluate foreign credentials in their office. Before they can process your application for a Missouri teaching certificate, you must send all transcripts and other certification information to a credentialing agency approved by their department that provides a transcript analysis service. The analysis must be translated into English and include the following: specific course titles, credit hours earned, letter grades received, the cumulative grade point average, and a statement verifying the completed program’s equivalency to a United States degree. Although DESE does not endorse any of the agencies listed, they have contacted each of them and verified that they provide all the information they require.
  • After you receive the official analysis from the credentialing agency, you may apply for a Missouri teaching certificate. The credentialing report will be accepted in lieu of the institutional recommendation. Upon receipt of all application materials, DESE will complete a course evaluation to determine your eligibility for Missouri certification.  All evaluations will be posted at the Certificate Status link located on your Profile Page in the Educator Certification System.
  • Complete the online Non-Missouri Graduate application.
  • Submit remaining items on the Non-Missouri Graduate Application Checklist in one packet to Educator Certification, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102.  DESE does not accept faxed or emailed application materials.

More information can be found by visiting this DESE website.