Transfer Courses

If you have taken a class you think should count toward a requirement on your analysis

  • Contact our office and inform us about the class in question.
  • Obtain a course description from the institution where the course was taken. The description should be from the year you completed the course. Most current course descriptions can now be found on the web, but if the course was taken several years ago you may need to contact the Registrar's Office at that institution for an old description.
  • Send the course description to the Teacher Certification Office with a request to have the course re-evaluated for certification.

If you want to take a class somewhere else and transfer it to Missouri State for Certification

Courses taken at Colleges or Universities in Missouri must be determined directly equivalent to the course you need at Missouri State. To find these courses, follow one of the options below:

  • If you are looking for an equivalent course at a particular institution in Missouri, you can use our Transfer Course Equivalency Guide to identify courses at a specific institution.
  • To search for equivalent courses for a specific Missouri State course at ALL institutions in Missouri, click here.

If you are looking for an equivalent course that you can take online or through correspondence outside of Missouri, you can do a web search for the course you need. Once you find a course you think may be equivalent, complete the following steps:

  • Bring a course description for the course you would like to take to the Teacher Certification Office. If you find it on the web, you can email us the description or a web link to it at
  • Wait to register for the class until our office has approved it.
  • Once you have completed the course, you will need to have the college or university send our office an official transcript so we can count the course toward your certification requirements. When requesting an official transcript, please use our "Transcript Request Form"

The Teacher Certification Office also maintains a list of online and correspondence coursework that has been approved for certification. These courses may not transfer in to fulfill a requirement for undergraduate students seeking a BSED degree, but have been pre-approved for those seeking post bac and masters level certification.

What types of classes can I transfer?

  • General Education courses
  • Content area classes - Many may need to be approved through the Missouri State department that would offer the course. Please submit the description to our office, and we will forward it to the appropriate person in the academic department if necessary.
  • Once you start the certification process at Missouri State, you need to complete ALL education courses at Missouri State. If you cannot complete one of our education courses due to an unavoidable schedule conflict, other education courses may be considered on an individual case-by-case basis.