Temporary Authorization Certificate

What is it?

The Temporary Authorization Certificate (TAC) is an alternative certification option for individuals who wish to teach while pursuing teacher certification but are NOT in an approved program at a college or university. This is a one-year, renewable certificate. In order to apply for a TAC, you must first be hired by a school district. That school district will then assist you in getting your TAC directly through the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.

Due to changes in the Temporary Authorization Certificate in 2003, this certificate is no longer appropriate for students pursuing certification through an approved program at Missouri State University. Students on an approved program at Missouri State are instead eligible for a Provisional Certificate.

For more specific information on the TAC, feel free to read the DESE rule regarding this certificate.