In response to Missouri House Bill 1711, The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education has developed the "Teachers Aide Rule" (Rule 5 CSR 20-400.330). This rule allows both Undergraduate and Post Bac Teacher Certification students the opportunity to earn academic credit for student teaching utilizing experience as a Teacher's Aide in their content area and grade level. It also allows those who are teaching for two years on a Provisional Teaching Certificate the opportunity to earn credit for student teaching in their current teaching assignment.
In order to be considered for credit for student teaching utilizing the Teacher's Aide Rule, the experience MUST meet very specific criteria as determined by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education:
- The student must have experience in a public school setting or a state-accredited non-public school setting. Experience at private schools or daycare/preschools that are not accredited will not be considered.
- Experience must be concurrent with enrollment in the Missouri State Teacher Education Program. Concurrent experience begins at the point students have declared Education as their major AND have enrolled in at least one Professional Education course.
- Experience must be in the same grade level and content area the student is pursuing for certification.
- Conducted teaching activities must be comparable to those required of others in conventional student teaching placements and must demonstrate similar competencies.
- The teacher with whom the student serves meets the qualifications for a cooperating teacher for Missouri State (at least three years of classroom teaching experience).
- The teacher with whom the student serves has received training for observing and evaluating the aide's/assistant's teaching practice. In most cases, this is met by virtue of having hosted student teacher candidates from Missouri State in the past.
- The Teacher's Aide/assistant has been working with permission and under the authority of the Principal of the school or a designee.
How to apply for student teaching credit utilizing the "Teacher's Aide Rule"
To apply for student teaching credit utilizing the "Teacher's Aide Rule," please review the application process.