Missouri State University offers several options for those who are interested in pursuing Student Services Certification in either School Counseling or School Psychological Examiner. Certification in these areas requires the attainment of a masters degree, and several routes are available depending on your situation.
School Counseling (K-8 and 7-12) Certification
There are three different routes to earning certification as a School Counselor. Please choose the route that best describes your situation:
Master of Science (MS) in School Counseling
This option is for those who have completed a bachelor's degree (regardless of the major) but have not yet earned a master's degree and wish to become a school counselor. Both certified teachers and noncertified individuals can choose this route. Since school counseling certification requires the attainment of a master's degree in counseling or related field, those who do not currently hold a master's degree must choose this route.
Coursework Required for Certification:
- School Counseling (K-8)
- School Counseling (7-12)
For more information on this route to certification, please visit the Counseling Program website.
Counseling Certification for Students with a Related Master's Degree
This option is for those who have already earned a master's degree and now wish to pursue counseling certification. In order to pursue this option, you must have a master's degree in a "related field" and be within 12 credit hours of having completed all requirements for the School Counselor certificate. Acceptable master's degrees would include:
- Master of Science in Counseling - Community Agency Counseling
- Master of Science in Clinical Psychology
- Other Master's Degrees including coursework in Counseling or Psychology
This option is also appropriate for those who have earned School Counseling certification from another institution (not Missouri State) but want to add additional grade levels.
Coursework Required for Certification
- School Counseling (K-8)
- School Counseling (7-12)
Applying to the Program
Applicants within 12 credit hours: If you are within 12 credit hours of completing all the graduate-level coursework required (not including the 12 hours of "education" courses needed) you will then complete the postbaccalaureate application process and will be able to immediately start taking classes as a post-master's, nondegree-seeking student.
Applicants needing more than 12 credit hours: If you have more than 12 hours of deficiencies, you will be required to complete the following application process to be admitted to the School Counseling program:
- Complete the School Counseling Department Application,
- Obtain 3 references on the Applicant Reference Form
Applicants completing this process will be required to interview before being admitted. At that point, you can begin taking classes.
Please note: Students pursuing coursework as post-master's, nondegree-seeking are not eligible for Financial Aid. If you require student loans to help pay for your coursework, you will need to apply to the MS in Counseling program.
Current Counselors adding Additional Counseling Certifications
This option is for those who completed an MS in Mental Health or School Counseling through Missouri State, but now want to add additional school certifications. Students pursuing this option will be re-admitted to Missouri State as a post-master's, nondegree-seeking student. This student status allows students to complete the additional coursework required for certification without having to enroll in a graduate program. However, because students are nondegree-seeking, student loans are typically not available.
Missouri State graduates pursuing additional certifications using this route must complete the following "quick admit" process prior to beginning classes to add certification:
- Complete the Counseling Program Declaration Form. This form can be emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 417-836-5008.
For Students who completed the MS in Counseling through Missouri State SPRING 2011 OR LATER, you need to complete the following:
- Complete the postbaccalaureate application for admission and transcript analysis. When you complete this application, it will direct you to a website for payment. Please be sure to mark only the $15.00 fee for an additional analysis since we would already have a certification file established for you. Transcripts are only needed for those who did not originally complete the school counseling track since we have no certification file for you. If so, please follow the process on our application process website to request an official transcript from each institution you have attended previously (except Missouri State and MSU - West Plains).
For students who completed school counseling certification through Missouri State PRIOR TO SPRING 2011, you will need to complete the following:
- Complete the postbaccalaureate application for admission and transcript analysis. When you complete this application, it will direct you to a website for payment. Please be sure to mark the $25.00 analysis fee. We will then build a certification file for you in our office and can track you long-term.
- Provide us with an official transcript for every institution you have attended previously (except Missouri State and MSU - West Plains) by following the instructions on our application process website. We will be required to send them to DESE to recommend you for additional certification.
Once we receive your application packet, we will complete an analysis of your transcripts to verify the coursework you need to add additional certificates. Typically, students can add additional grade levels by completing 1-4 additional courses. Students pursuing either option in this section will be eligible for a Provisional Certificate while they are completing their coursework.