COM 597/698 - Northern Ireland: Conflict, Peace, and Reconciliation
All Majors Welcome!
Spring 2018 Course- Travel Dates May 31-June 10, 2018
An old Irish proverb states “Seeing is believing, but feeling is the God’s own truth.” Through travel to Ireland and Northern Ireland you will have the opportunity to not only learn about history of this ancient land and the decades’ old conflict in this beautiful region, but also to feel the impact of the Troubles and the transformational conflict processes that have taken place. You will visit the lasting expressions of people’s experiences of the conflict (such as the walls in Belfast separating Catholic and Protestant communities, and the murals in Derry/Londonderry depicting the evolution from Bloody Sunday to current peace efforts). You will hear the narratives of activists, community members, and individuals from conflict management and peacemaking organizations. And you will connect with those most impacted by the historical conflict in the region. In this way you will feel first-hand how conflict, and peace, have been experienced by the people of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
Travel Details: Fly out of Springfield and travel to Dublin, Ireland, and Belfast, Balleycastle, & Derry, Northern Ireland
Program Fee: $3,540 - Your program fee includes the following:
- ALL transportation (including your flight out of Sprignfield, as well as train, bus, and taxi travel in-county
- ALL hotel accommodations (shared rooms)
- ALL entrance fees and tours, including:
- Historical Walking Tour of Dublin
- Guided Tour of Ulster Museum
- Black Taxi Tour of Belfast
- Tour of Crumlin Gaol
- Day’s Facilitation at Corrymeela Peace Centre
- Giant’s Causeway Day-long Tour with stops at Carrick-a-rede Rope Bride, Dunluce Castle, and Bushmills Distillery, as well as the Giant’s Causeway National Heritage Site
- “Bloody Sunday” Tour of the Bogside Murals in Derry and “Free Derry” Museum
- Conflict and Reconciliation Panel Discussion and Dinner in Derry
- Plus more!
- ALL breakfasts
- Some additional meals
- Enroll in COM 597/698 (3 credit hours) in Spring 2018 (the course fee is covered by your spring financial aid).
- The course will count as an elective in the Conflict Certificate and for many other majors.
- Scholarships are available through Study Away office and individual departments. The deadline for scholarship applications is November 1, 2017.
- November 1, 2017 - deadline to apply for Study Away scholarship assistance.
- December 1, 2017 - priority application deadline for the program (enrollment is limited).
- January 19, 2018 - final application deadline (if seats still available)
- Pre-Departure Meetings - April 26, May 10, May 17, and May 24, 2018 (note, dates of these 2-hour meetings may be adjusted to accommodate students' schedules once program enrollment closes)
- Travel Dates: May 31 - June 10, 2018
- Post-Program Meeting - July 2018 (TBA)
More Information or Apply