MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS’
PROGRAMS AND PLANNING COMMITTEE
MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2017, 10:15 A.M.
ROBERT W. PLASTER STUDENT UNION, BALLROOM EAST
Present - Mr. Kendall Seal, Committee Chair
Ms. Amelia Counts, Committee Member
Mr. Tyree Davis IV, Committee Member
Mr. Craig Frazier, Committee Member
Ms. Virginia Fry, Committee Member
Mr. Gabriel Gore, Committee Member
Ms. Beverly Miller, Committee Member
Ms. Carol Silvey, Committee Member
Mr. Gregory Spears, Committee Member
Ms. Carrie Tergin, Committee Member
Also Present - Mr. Clifton M. Smart III, President, Missouri State University
Dr. Jim Baker, Vice President for Economic Research and Development & International Programs
Dr. Drew Bennett, Chancellor, Missouri State University, West Plains
Ms. Rachel Besara, Associate Dean, Library
Dr. David Brown, Faculty Emeritus, College of Education
Dr. Stephanie Bryant, Dean, College of Business
Ms. Donna Christian, Director, Internal Audit and Compliance
Dr. Chris Craig, Deputy Provost
Dr. Denise Cunningham, Department Head, Childhood Education and Family Studies
Dr. Rachelle Darabi, Associate Provost for Student Development and Public Affairs
Mr. Ryan DeBoef, Chief of Staff and Assistant to the President for Governmental Relations
Dr. Tom Dicke, Professor, History
Ms. Rachael Dockery, General Counsel
Dr. Frank Einhellig, Provost
Mr. Steve Foucart, Chief Financial Officer
Dr. Keri Franklin, Director of Assessment
Mr. David Hall, Manager, Emergency Preparedness
Ms. Rachel Heinz, Bear Power, College of Education
Dr. David Hough, Dean, College of Education
Dr. Tammy Jahnke, Dean, College of Natural and Applied Sciences
Mr. Tom Johnson, Director, Safety and Transportation
Dr. Julie Masterson, Associate Provost and Dean of the Graduate College
Dr. Victor Matthews, Dean, College of Humanities and Public Affairs
Mr. Jeff Mitchell, Assistant General Counsel
Ms. Shirley Mitchell, Senior Accountant-Analyst, Provost Office
Mr. Matt Morris, Vice President for Administrative Services
Mr. Jeff Morrissey, Chief Information Officer
Ms. Andrea Mostyn, Director, University Communications
Dr. Joye Norris, Associate Provost for Access and Outreach
Ms. Michelle Olsen, Director Institutional Research
Mr. Wes Pratt, Chief Diversity Officer and Assistant to the President
Mr. Greg Rainwater, Budget and Financial Manager, Provost Office
Dr. Helen Reid, Dean, College of Health and Human Services
Ms. Claudette Riley, News-Leader
Dr. Emmett Sawyer, Department Head, Reading Foundations and Technology
Mr. Scott Schneider, Director, Business and Support Services, West Plains
Ms. Suzanne Shaw, Vice President for Marketing and Communication
Dr. Dee Siscoe, Vice President for Student Affairs
Dr. James Sottile, Associate Dean, College of Education
Ms. Sara Tipton, Clinical Instruction, College of Education
Ms. Mara Todd, Teacher, Logan Rogersville
Dr. Kelly Wood, Interim Director, First Year Programs
Ms. Emily Yeap, Public Relations Specialist
Ms. Kristan Gochenauer, Secretary to the Board of Governors
1. Roll Call – Mr. Kendall Seal, Committee Chair, called the Programs and Planning Committee meeting to order at 10:15 a.m. on Friday, October 27, 2017, on the Missouri State University campus.
2. Approval of Minutes – Mr. Seal mentioned that the first item of business was the approval of the minutes from the June 23, 2017, meeting. Ms. Beverly Miller so moved, receiving a second from Mr. Gabriel Gore.
Motion passed unanimously.
3. KPI Update – President Clif Smart shared the official census report for the fall with the Board. He then gave an update on the Key Performance Indicators (KPI) noting an increase in degrees/certificates awarded as well as continued progress on the faculty/staff diversity ratio.
4. Revisions to Governing Policy G.5.02 Expressive Activity Policy – President Smart asked Rachael Dockery, General Counsel, to provide an overview of the proposed policy revisions to the Board. Ms. Dockery noted revisions to amplification, items that are not allowed at a rally/protest, place and manner for indoor forums and the activity allowance in a 24-hour day.
Ms. Carol Silvey recommended that the Board approve the revisions to Governing Policy G.5.02 Expressive Activity at the regular Board meeting. Mr. Craig Frazier seconded the motion. All Board members were in favor.
5. College Highlight – College of Education – Dr. David Hough, Dean of the College of Education, provided a history of the college with a focus on heritage, quality and current initiatives. Current initiatives include the Internship Academy, which allows students to spend their last year in the classroom learning from a Master Teacher, and Bear POWER, an externally funded inclusive college program for students with intellectual disabilities.
6. Citizen Scholars Update – Governor Seal thanked the Governors who participated on the Citizen Scholars committee as well as Dr. Dee Siscoe, Vice President for Student Affairs, and Ms. Peggy Jones, Executive Assistant IV. He shared that six students were selected from 19 nominations. The names of the awardees will be announced at the December Board of Governors’ meeting.
7. Adjournment – Mr. Seal adjourned the Programs and Planning Committee meeting at 11:42 a.m. on the motion of Mr. Gore, the second of Ms. Virginia Fry, and the unanimous approval of the committee.
Secretary to the Board