MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS’
PROGRAMS AND PLANNING COMMITTEE
MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY
THURSDAY, MAY 18, 2017, 8:30 A.M.
BALLROOM EAST, ROBERT W. PLASTER STUDENT UNION
Mr. Kendall Seal, Committee Chair
Mr. Tyree Davis, Committee Member
Mr. Craig Frazier, Committee Member
Ms. Virginia Fry, Committee Member
Mr. Gabriel Gore, Committee Member
Ms. Beverly Miller, Committee Member
Ms. Carol Silvey, Committee Member
Mr. Gregory Spears, Committee Member
Ms. Carrie Tergin, Committee Member
Mr. Stephen Hoven, Committee Member
Mr. Clif Smart, President, Missouri State University
Dr. Drew Bennett, Chancellor, Missouri State University, West Plains
Dr. Stephanie Bryant, Dean, College of Business
Ms. Donna Christian, Director, Internal Audit and Compliance
Ms. Amy Counts, Board Appointee
Dr. Chris Craig, Deputy Provost
Dr. Rachelle Darabi, Associate Provost for Student Development and Public Affairs
Mr. Ryan DeBoef, Chief of Staff and Assistant to the President for Governmental Relations
Ms. Rachael Dockery, General Counsel
Mr. Brent Dunn, Vice President for University Advancement
Dr. Frank Einhellig, Provost
Dr. Gloria Galanes, Dean, College of Arts and Letters
Dr. Rob Hornberger, Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management and Services/Registrar
Dr. Tammy Jahnke, Dean, College of Natural and Applied Sciences
Mr. Tom Johnson, Director, Safety and Transportation
Dr. Thomas Lane, Associate Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students
Dr. Julie Masterson, Dean, Graduate College
Dr. Victor Matthews, Dean, College of Humanities and Public Affairs
Mr. Matt Morris, Vice President for Administrative Services
Mr. Jeff Morrissey, Chief Information Officer
Dr. Joye Norris, Associate Provost for Access and Outreach
Mr. Tom Peters, Dean, Library
Mr. Wes Pratt, Chief Diversity Officer and Assistant to the President
Mr. Greg Rainwater, Budget and Financial Manager, Provost Office
Dr. Helen Reid, Dean, College of Health and Human Services
Mr. Scott Schneider, Director, Business and Support Services, West Plains
Ms. Suzanne Shaw, Vice President for Marketing and Communication
Mr. Don Simpson, Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management Services
Dr. Dee Siscoe, Vice President for Student Affairs
Ms. Kristan Gochenauer, Secretary to the Board of Governors
- Roll Call – Mr. Kendall Seal, Committee Chair, called the Programs and Planning Committee meeting to order at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday, May 18, 2017, on the Missouri State University campus.
- Approval of Minutes – Mr. Seal mentioned that the first item of business was the approval of the minutes from the March 23, 2017, meeting. Mr. Gabriel Gore so moved, receiving a second from Mr. Craig Frazier.
Motion passed unanimously.
- Old Business –
- Follow-up on Key Performance Indicators – President Clif Smart provided a follow-up to prior discussions sharing that over one-hundred items, including diversity data, are tracked and available for review online. Ms. Virginia Fry and Mr. Seal mentioned a dashboard of focus items being created for tracking.
- New Business –
- Academic Quality – Dr. Frank Einhellig, Provost, discussed Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s), measures that correspond to our 2016-21 Long-Range plan goals, which are tied to both our state performance measures and accreditation. President Clif Smart stated that he will provide an overview of KPI’s for this past year at the June 23, 2017 Board of Governors’ meeting. Dr. Einhellig then discussed the importance of accreditation and the value it provides to both the University and our students. The University, as a whole, has 33 programs accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Process Involved in Gaining Accreditation at MSU – Dr. Stephanie Bryant, Dean of the College of Business, discussed accreditation through the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). AACSB is the leading accreditor of Business Education, with only 4.7% of business programs in the world holding this accreditation. AACSB accreditation allows the College of Business to attract high quality students and high quality faculty resulting in better-prepared, successful graduates.
Dr. Helen Reid, Dean of the College of Health and Human Services, then gave an overview of accreditors for programs in Health and Human Services. She walked the Board through a timeline of the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) accreditation; a seven-year process with 188 standards to meet. In April 2017, the Master in Occupational Therapy Program received ACOTE accreditation.
- Adjournment – Mr. Seal adjourned the Programs and Planning Committee meeting at 9:59 a.m. on the motion of Mr. Gore, the second of Ms. Beverly Miller, and the unanimous approval of the committee.
Secretary to the Board