MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS’
FINANCE AND FACILITIES COMMITTEE
MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2017 8:30 A.M.
ROBERT W. PLASTER STUDENT UNION, BALLROOM EAST
Present - Mr. Gabriel Gore, Committee Chair
Ms. Amelia Counts, Committee Member
Mr. Tyree Davis IV, Committee Member
Mr. Craig Frazier, Committee Member
Ms. Virginia Fry, Committee Member
Ms. Beverly Miller, Committee Member
Mr. Kendall Seal, Committee Member
Ms. Carol Silvey, Committee Member
Mr. Gregory Spears, Committee Member
Ms. Carrie Tergin, Committee Member
Also Present - Mr. Clif Smart, President of the University
Dr. Jim Baker, Vice President for Economic Research and Development & International Programs
Dr. Drew Bennett, Chancellor, West Plains Campus
Ms. Rachel Besara, Associate Dean, Library
Mr. Keith Boaz, Senior Associate Athletic Director, Athletics and Entertainment
Dr. Stephanie Bryant, Dean, College of Business
Ms. Donna Christian, Director of Internal Audit and Compliance
Ms. Jen Cox, Assistant to the Vice President for Administrative Services
Dr. Chris Craig, Deputy Provost
Mr. Ryan DeBoef, Chief of Staff and Assistant to the President for Governmental Relations
Ms. Rachael Dockery, General Counsel
Ms. Nicki Donnelson, Assistant Director, University Communications
Dr. Frank Einhellig, Provost and Chancellor of the Mountain Grove Campus
Mr. Steve Foucart, Chief Financial Officer
Mr. Tom Johnson, Director, Safety and Transportation
Dr. Julie Masterson, Associate Provost and Dean of the Graduate College
Dr. Victor Matthews, Dean, College of Humanities and Public Affairs
Ms. Theresa McCoy, Director, Computer Services
Mr. Jeff Mitchell, Assistant General Counsel
Ms. Shirley Mitchell, Senior Accountant-Analyst, Provost Office
Mr. Matt Morris, Vice President for Administrative Services
Mr. Jeff Morrissey, Chief Information Officer
Dr. Joye Norris, Associate Provost for Access and Outreach
Mr. Wes Pratt, Chief Diversity Officer
Mr. Greg Rainwater, Budget and Financial Manager, Provost Office
Dr. Helen Reid, Dean, College of Health and Human Services
Ms. Claudette Riley, News-Leader
Mr. Doug Sampson, University Architect and Director of Planning, Design and Construction
Mr. Scott Schneider, Director, Business and Support Services, West Plains
Ms. Suzanne Shaw, Vice President for Marketing and Communications
Dr. Dee Siscoe, Vice President for Student Affairs
Ms. Lauren Webster, Associate Director, Planning, Design and Construction
Ms. Kristan Gochenauer, Secretary of the Board of Governors
1. Roll Call – Mr. Gabriel Gore, Committee Chair, called the Finance and Facilities Committee meeting to order at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, October 27, 2017, on the Missouri State University campus.
2. Approval of Minutes – Mr. Gore mentioned that the first item of business was the approval of the minutes from the June 23, 2017 meeting. Ms. Carol Silvey made a motion, seconded by Ms. Virginia Fry.
Motion passed unanimously.
3. Review of Proposed Policy Revisions – Mr. Steve Foucart, Chief Financial Officer, reviewed the proposed changes to the G1.18 Contract Authorization policy.
Mr. Matt Morris, Vice President for Administrative Services, then reviewed the G8.06 Contracts for Construction Policy and G8.07 Contracting for Professional services – Architects, Engineers and Land Surveyors Policy. Committee members recommended inclusion of “defined as at least 90 percent” after “all or substantially all” to both G8.06 and G8.07 policies.
Ms. Silvey recommended that the contracts be approved at the October 27, 2017, regular Board meeting. Ms. Amelia Counts seconded the recommendation. All Board members were in favor.
4. Review of Higher Education Student Funding Act – Mr. Foucart summarized HESFA, which included statutory language provisions, the CBHE policy and a waiver timeline.
5. Jefferson City/FY19 Budget Update – President Clif Smart shared that the University has two primary sources of revenue – 64% from tuition and fees and 34% from the state of Missouri. Last year the University realized a 9% state budget reduction. The University is currently budgeting for a 2 ½% decrease for FY2019. If a more significant decrease in state appropriations is realized, then the University will need to look at additional ways to reduce costs. Further discussions will take place at the December and February Board meetings.
President Smart then reviewed the new performance funding measures that the Coordinating Board of Higher Education will adopt in December. He noted that the University should do well on these, but every university will not meet all measures.
6. Summer/Fall 2017 Revenue to Budget Comparison – Mr. Foucart summarized the revenue to budget comparison. He noted a slight increase in credit hours as well as an increase in room revenue secondary to an increase in student occupancy. Overall, numbers are tracking well through September 2017.
7. Review Unaudited FY2017 Preliminary Financial Statements – Mr. Foucart then reviewed the financial statements noting that we are tracking well and in a good position financially.
8. Adjournment – Mr. Gore adjourned the Finance and Facilities Committee meeting at 10:05 a.m. on the motion of Ms. Beverly Miller, the second of Mr. Gregory Spears, and the unanimous approval of the committee.
Secretary to the Board