MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS’
FINANCE AND FACILITIES COMMITTEE
MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2017 10:30 A.M.
ROBERT W. PLASTER STUDENT UNION, BALLROOM EAST
Present-Mr. Gabriel Gore, Committee Chair
Ms. Amelia Counts, Committee Member
Mr. Tyree Davis IV, Committee Member
Mr. Craig Frazier, Committee Member
Ms. Virginia Fry, Committee Member
Ms. Beverly Miller, Committee Member
Mr. Kendall Seal, Committee Member
Ms. Carol Silvey, Committee Member
Mr. Gregory Spears, Committee Member
Ms. Carrie Tergin, Committee Member
Also Present- Mr. Clif Smart, President of the University
Dr. Jim Baker, Vice President for Economic Research and Development & International Programs
Dr. Drew Bennett, Chancellor, West Plains Campus
Ms. Donna Christian, Director of Internal Audit and Compliance
Mr. Chris Collier, Managing Director, Hilltop Securities
Ms. Jen Cox, Assistant to the Vice President for Administrative Services
Dr. Chris Craig, Deputy Provost
Ms. Rachael Dockery, General Counsel
Ms. Nicki Donnelson, Assistant Director, University Communications
Mr. Brent Dunn, Vice President for University Advancement
Dr. Frank Einhellig, Provost and Chancellor of the Mountain Grove Campus
Mr. Steve Foucart, Chief Financial Officer
Ms. Reagan Holliday, Underwriter, Hilltop Securities
Dr. David Hough, Dean, College of Education
Dr. Tammy Jahnke, Dean, College of Natural and Applied Sciences
Mr. Tom Johnson, Director, Safety and Transportation
Dr. Julie Masterson, Associate Provost and Dean of the Graduate College
Dr. Victor Matthews, Dean, College of Humanities and Public Affairs
Ms. Theresa McCoy, Director, Computer Services
Mr. Jeff Mitchell, Assistant General Counsel
Ms. Shirley Mitchell, Senior Accountant-Analyst, Provost Office
Mr. Brent Moore, Chief Engineer, TV
Mr. Matt Morris, Vice President for Administrative Services
Mr. Jeff Morrissey, Chief Information Officer
Dr. Joye Norris, Associate Provost for Access and Outreach
Mr. Tom Peters, Dean, Library
Mr. Wes Pratt, Chief Diversity Officer
Mr. Greg Rainwater, Budget and Financial Manager, Provost Office
Dr. Helen Reid, Dean, College of Health and Human Services
Mr. Doug Sampson, University Architect and Director of Planning, Design and Construction
Mr. Scott Schneider, Director, Business and Support Services, West Plains
Ms. Suzanne Shaw, Vice President for Marketing and Communications
Dr. Dee Siscoe, Vice President for Student Affairs
Mr. Gary Stewart, Director, Residence Life, Housing and Dining
Ms. Lauren Webster, Associate Director, Planning, Design and Construction
Ms. Tammy Wiley, General Manager, KSMU
Mr. Rick Wright, Bond Counsel, Gilmore & Bell
Ms. Kristan Gochenauer, Secretary of the Board of Governors
1. Roll Call – Mr. Gabriel Gore, Committee Chair, called the Finance and Facilities Committee meeting to order at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday, December 14, 2017, on the Missouri State University campus.
2. Approval of Minutes – Mr. Gore mentioned that the first item of business was the approval of the minutes from the October 27, 2017 meeting. Mr. Craig Frazier made a motion, seconded by Ms. Carol Silvey.
Motion passed unanimously.
3. Review Auxiliary Bond Resolution – Mr. Steve Foucart, Chief Financial Officer, reviewed the proposed Auxiliary Bond Resolution as well as the bond purchase agreement and the escrow deposit agreement. Mr. Rick Wright, Bond Counsel with Gilmore & Bell, Reagan Holliday and Chris Collier, Hilltop Securities, were available to answer any questions the Board had. Authorization of the $36 million in revenue bonds will save the University $2.7 million over the next 18 years. Mr. Gregory Spears recommended that the resolutions be approved at the December 14, 2017, regular Board meeting. Ms. Amelia Counts seconded the recommendation. All Board members were in favor.
4. Update on Residence Hall Program – Mr. Matt Morris, Vice President for Administrative Services, gave an update on the residence hall project. He showed the location site and reviewed the floor plan options. The University continues to work with Bryan Properties and will schedule a special meeting in January 2018 to discuss the agreement and terms. Mr. Morris also noted that at the February Finance and Facilities meeting Woods House updates will be discussed.
5. Delegation of Contracting Authority Memo – President Clif Smart reviewed the Delegation of Contracting Authority Policy, which authorizes the President of the University to subdelegate in writing the authority to executive “contracts, documents and instruments, appropriations, disbursements or change orders”.
6. Budget Update – President Smart discussed the Higher Education State Funding Act and history of universities’ requesting waivers. He then reviewed the waiver document/application if the University decides to do a future request. President Smart then gave an overview of potential budget expectations for the coming year and how the new performance funding measures can impact the budget. Further discussions will take place in February 2018 once the budget is final.
7. Year to Date Financial Review – Mr. Foucart reviewed all funds through October 31, 2017 noting a 3% increase to the net position and tracking well overall.
8. Foundation Review – Mr. Brent Dunn, Vice President for University Advancement, reviewed gifts to the Foundation through November 2017, which are up in comparison to last year.
9. Review of Procurement Consent and Facility Agenda Items – Mr. Foucart reviewed the two items on the procurement consent agenda that will be recommended for approval at the regular Board of Governors’ meeting.
Mr. Morris then provided an overview of the Federal Communications Commission channel reassignments to television stations KOZK and KOZJ agreement as well as the agreement for the tower reinforcement for the KOZK television station. Both agreements will be recommended for approval at the regular Board of Governors’ meeting.
10. Adjournment – Mr. Gore adjourned the Finance and Facilities Committee meeting at 11:47 a.m. on the motion of Mr. Spears, the second of Mr. Frazier, and the unanimous approval of the committee.
Secretary to the Board