MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS’
FINANCE AND FACILITIES COMMITTEE
MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY
FRIDAY, MARCH 24, 2017 8:00 A.M.
HOTEL SORELLA, MCCOY AB CONFERENCE ROOM, KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI
Mr. Gabriel Gore – Committee Chair
Mr. Joe Carmichael – Committee Member
Mr. Tyree Davis IV – Committee Member
Ms. Virginia Fry – Committee Member
Mr. Stephen Hoven – Committee Vice Chair
Ms. Beverly Miller – Committee Member
Mr. Kendall Seal – Committee Member
Mr. Gregory Spears – Committee Member
Ms. Carrie Tergin – Committee Member
Dr. Peter Hofherr – Committee Member
Mr. Clif Smart – President of the University
Dr. Jim Baker – Vice President for Economic Research and Development & International Programs
Dr. Drew Bennett – Chancellor, West Plains Campus
Dr. Stephanie Bryant – Dean, College of Business
Ms. Donna Christian – Director of Internal Audit and Compliance
Mr. Adam Coffman – President, SGA
Dr. Chris Craig – Deputy Provost
Mr. Ryan DeBoef – Chief of Staff and Assistant to the President for Governmental Relations
Ms. Rachael Dockery – General Counsel
Ms. Nicki Donnelson – Assistant Director, Communications
Mr. Brent Dunn – Vice President for University Advancement
Dr. Frank Einhellig – Provost and Chancellor of the Mountain Grove Campus
Mr. Steve Foucart – Chief Financial Officer
Mr. Craig Frazier – Board Appointee
Dr. Gloria Galanes – Dean, College of Arts and Letters
Dr. David Hough – Dean, College of Education
Mr. Kyle Moats – Director of Athletics
Mr. Matt Morris –Vice President for Administrative Services
Mr. Jeff Morrissey – Chief Information Officer
Ms. Andrea Mostyn – Director of University Communications
Mr. Wes Pratt – Chief Diversity Officer
Ms. Suzanne Shaw – Vice President for Marketing and Communications
Ms. Carol Silvey – Board Appointee
Dr. Dee Siscoe – Vice President for Student Affairs
Ms. Rowena Stone – Executive Assistant to the President
Mr. Ryan Wilson – Systems Analyst
Ms. Kristan Gochenauer – Secretary of the Board of Governors
- Roll Call – Mr. Gabriel Gore, Committee Chair, called the Finance and Facilities Committee meeting to order at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, March 24, 2017, at Hotel Sorella, McCoy AB Conference Room in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Approval of Minutes – Mr. Gore mentioned that the first item of business was the approval of the minutes from the February 3, 2017 meeting. Mr. Stephen Hoven made a motion, seconded by Ms. Virginia Fry.
Motion passed unanimously.
- Jefferson City Update – President Clif Smart reported on the Governor’s budget. He reviewed the FY2018 budget expectations to include the 3% holdback and the current shortfall (8.2 million), which will be apportioned between the Springfield and West Plains campuses. President Smart also shared that some funding could be put back into the FY2018 budget, but recommends we continue to operate off the current budget and re-evaluate if changes occur.
- Missouri State University Efficiency Data – Mr. Steve Foucart provided an overview of data that demonstrates how the University operates at reduced costs, while continuing to see enrollment growth and meeting all performance measure benchmarks.
Ms. Carrie Tergin stepped out of the meeting at 8:35 a.m.
- Tuition and Fee Options – President Smart gave an overview of options that were reviewed by the Executive Budget Committee. The recommended option would increase undergraduate tuition by CPI (2.1%) and all other categories by approximately 4.2%. This would create an estimated revenue increase of 3.4 million. A fee resolution will be placed on the April Executive Committee meeting agenda for approval.
Ms. Tergin returned to the meeting at 9:00 a.m.
- Non-Academic/Provost Area Budget Reductions and Strategies – President Smart summarized the Springfield campus non-academic and provost area proposed budget reductions for FY2018. The reductions totaling $2,812,512 represent a 4.9% reduction from non-academic and provost area operating budgets. He then summarized the West Plains campus proposed budget changes for FY2018 to include a per credit hour tuition increase as well as reductions in payroll, travel and operating expenses.
- Draft Fee Resolution Summary – President Smart gave an overview of the draft fee resolution. Dr. Frank Einhellig outlined the fee restructuring for academic programs.
- Foundation Review – Mr. Brent Dunn, Vice President for University Advancement, reviewed gifts to the Foundation through February 2017.
- Perkins Loan Program and Financial Statement Review– Due to time restrictions, the expiration of the Perkins loan program and financial statement review will be discussed at the April Executive Committee meeting.
- Adjournment – Mr. Gore adjourned the Finance and Facilities Committee meeting at 10:16 a.m. on the motion of Ms. Fry, the second of Mr. Joe Carmichael, and the unanimous approval of the committee.
Secretary to Board