MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS’
FINANCE AND FACILITIES COMMITTEE
MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2017 9:00 A.M.
BALLROOM EAST, ROBERT W. PLASTER STUDENT UNION
Mr. Gabriel Gore – Committee Chair
Mr. Joe Carmichael – Committee Member
Mr. Tyree Davis IV – Committee Member
Ms. Virginia Fry – Committee Member
Dr. Peter Hofherr – Committee Member
Mr. Stephen Hoven – Committee Vice Chair
Ms. Beverly Miller – Committee Member
Mr. Kendall Seal – Committee Member
Mr. Gregory Spears – Committee Member
Ms. Carrie Tergin – Committee Member
Mr. Clif Smart – President of the University
Dr. Jim Baker – Vice President for Economic Research and Development & International Programs
Dr. Drew Bennett – Chancellor, West Plains Campus
Dr. Stephanie Bryant, Dean, College of Business
Ms. Donna Christian – Director of Internal Audit and Compliance
Mr. Lynn Cline – Professor, Meyer Library
Mr. Adam Coffman – President, SGA
Dr. Rachelle Darabi – Associate Provost for Student Development and Public Affairs
Mr. Ryan DeBoef – Chief of Staff and Assistant to the President for Governmental Relations
Ms. Rachael Dockery – General Counsel
Ms. Brianna Duda – Vice President for SGA
Mr. Brent Dunn – Vice President for University Advancement
Dr. Frank Einhellig – Provost and Chancellor of the Mountain Grove Campus
Mr. Micheal Foster – Chair, Faculty Senate
Ms. Teresa Frederick – Assistant Director, Residence Life, Housing & Dining Services
Mr. Steve Foucart – Chief Financial Officer
Dr. Gloria Galanes – Dean, College of Arts and Letters
Mr. Scott Harvey – Director of News, OPT
Dr. Tammy Jahnke – Dean, College of Natural and Applied Sciences
Mr. Tom Johnson – Director, Safety and Transportation
Dr. Thomas Lane – Associate Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students
Dr. Julie Masterson – Dean, Graduate College
Dr. Victor Matthews – Dean, College of Humanities and Public Affairs
Mr. Jeff Mitchell – Legal Counsel
Ms. Shirley Mitchell – Senior Accountant-Analyst, Provost Office
Mr. Kyle Moats – Director of Athletics
Mr. Matt Morris –Vice President for Administrative Services
Mr. Jeff Morrissey – Chief Information Officer
Ms. Andrea Mostyn – Director of University Communications
Dr. Joye Norris – Associate Provost for Access and Outreach
Mr. Wes Pratt – Chief Diversity Officer
Mr. Greg Rainwater – Budget and Financial Manager, Provost Office
Dr. Helen Reid – Dean, College of Health and Human Services
Ms. Claudette Riley – Reporter, News-Leader
Mr. Doug Sampson – University Architect and Director of Planning, Design & Construction
Mr. Scott Schneider – Director of Business Services -West Plains
Ms. Suzanne Shaw – Vice President for Marketing and Communications
Dr. Dee Siscoe – Vice President for Student Affairs
Mr. Gary Stewart – Director, Residence Life, Housing & Dining Services
Ms. Kristan Gochenauer – Secretary of the Board of Governors
- Roll Call – Mr. Gabriel Gore, Committee Chair, called the Finance and Facilities Committee meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, February 3, 2017, on the Missouri State University campus. All members of the committee were present.
- Approval of Minutes – Mr. Gore mentioned that the first item of business was the approval of the minutes from the December 15, 2016 meeting. Mr. Stephen Hoven made a motion, seconded by Ms. Beverly Miller.
Motion passed unanimously.
- Operating Revenue Tuition to Budget Comparison and College by College Comparison – Mr. Steve Foucart, Chief Financial Officer, discussed the Missouri State University Statement of Net Positon for FY2017 as well as the Statement of Revenues, Expenses and Changes in Net Position for FY2016. Mr. Foucart noted that the documents are a comparison of point in time data showing positive trends for the Colleges.
- Foundation Review – Mr. Brent Dunn, Vice President for University Advancement, reviewed gifts to the Foundation through December 2016.
- Jefferson City Update – President Clif Smart reported on the Governor’s budget and withholds noting two current issues 1.) A withholding of $6.3 million (7.1%) for FY2017 and 2.) An $8.2 million (8.9%) budget cut for FY2018. The FY2017 withholding will be filled using one time funding reserves. The FY2018 budget cut will be apportioned between the Springfield campus ($7.7 million) and the West Plains campus ($482,000). President Smart shared a Guiding Principles document that outlined principles and strategies that will be the cornerstone for balancing and making budget decision.
- Proposed FY2017 Fee Resolution Amendment – President Clif Smart reviewed the FY2017 Fee Resolution Amendment noting approval will be requested at the regular Board meeting.
- Discussion on Traditional Student Housing – Dr. Dee Siscoe, Vice President for Student Affairs, gave a presentation on student housing that included the University’s current housing capacity of 4,029 beds, the direct impact that living on campus has on students, maintenance and renovation costs for current housing, and a comparison of new housing on other campuses.
- Closed Meeting – It was determined that the Board of Governors needed to meet in a closed session to consider items of business provided in the Revised Statutes of Missouri. Mr. Gore asked if a resolution authorizing a closed meeting of the Board was prepared. Thereupon, the following resolution was presented for consideration:
BE IT RESOLVED by the Board of Governors for Missouri State University that a closed meeting with closed records and closed vote be held during a recess of this February 3, 2017 meeting of the Finance and Facilities Committee meeting to consider items of business pursuant to:
- R.S.Mo. 610.021(1). “Legal actions, causes of action, or litigation involving a public governmental body...”
- R.S.Mo. 610.021(11) and (12). “Specifications for competitive bidding...;” and “Sealed bids and related documents...;”
- R.S.Mo. 610.021(17). “Confidential or privileged communications between a public governmental body and its auditor,...”
Ms. Virginia Fry moved the approval of the resolution and Mr. Gregory Spears seconded the motion.
A roll call vote on the motion was as follows: those voting in favor – Governors Carmichael, Fry, Gore, Hofherr, Hoven, Miller, Seal, Spears, and Tergin; those voting against – none.
Mr. Gore declared the resolution passed unanimously. The open meeting recessed at 11:00 a.m. to go into closed session.
The open meeting was reconvened at 12:00 p.m.
- Adjournment – Mr. Gore adjourned the Finance and Facilities Committee meeting at 12:00 p.m. on the motion of Dr. Peter Hofherr, the second of Ms. Miller, and the unanimous approval of the committee.
Secretary to the Board