MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS AUDIT SUBCOMMITTEE
MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY
MARCH 16, 2017
Mr. Gregory Spears, Committee Chair
Mr. Joe Carmichael, Chair of the Board (by conference call)
Ms. Virginia Fry, Vice Chair of the Board (by conference call)
Mr. Kendall Seal, Governor (by conference call)
Clifton Smart III, President
Donna Christian, Director of Internal Audit and Compliance
Ryan DeBoef, Chief of Staff and Assistant to the President for Governmental Relations
Rachael Dockery, General Counsel (by conference call)
Stephen Foucart, Chief Financial Officer
Kyle Moats, Director of Athletics
Suzanne Shaw, Vice President for Marketing and Communications
Carrie Tergin, Governor (by conference call)
Kristan Gochenauer, Secretary to the Board
1. Roll Call – Mr. Gregory Spears, Committee Chair, called the Risk Management and Audit Committee meeting to order at 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 16, 2017, in room 203 of Carrington Hall on the campus of Missouri State University in Springfield, Missouri.
2. Approval of Minutes – Mr. Spears mentioned that the first item of business was the approval of minutes from the December 15, 2016 meeting. Mr. Kendall Seal made a motion, seconded by Ms. Virginia Fry.
Motion passed unanimously.
3. Closed Meeting – It was determined that the Board of Governors needed to meet in a closed session to consider items of business provided in the Revised Statutes of Missouri. Mr. Spears asked if a resolution authorizing a closed meeting of the Board was prepared. Thereupon, the following resolution was presented for consideration:
BE IT RESOLVED by the Board of Governors for Missouri State University that a closed meeting, with closed records and closed vote, be held during a recess of the March 16, 2017 Risk Management and Audit Committee meeting of the Board of Governors to consider items of business pursuant to:
A. R.S.Mo. 610.021(1). “Legal actions, causes of action, or litigation involving a public governmental body...”
B. R.S.Mo. 610.021(17). “Confidential or privileged communications between a public governmental body and its auditor,....”
Mr. Seal moved the approval of the resolution and Ms. Fry seconded the motion.
A roll call vote on the motion was as follows: those voting in favor – Governors Fry, Seal, and Spears; those voting against – none.
Mr. Spears declared the resolution passed unanimously. The open meeting was recessed at 3:05 p.m. to go into closed session.
The open meeting was reconvened at 3:30 p.m. Ms. Rachael Dockery left the meeting at this time.
4. New Business – The University of Missouri audit was discussed along with the importance of transparency. President Smart informed Board members that he shared a hand-out with legislators and the Governor in Jefferson City that outlines the University’s efficiencies and noted that all University audits are online and open to the public.
5. Adjournment – Mr. Spears adjourned the meeting at 3:42 p.m., on the motion of Ms. Fry, the second of Mr. Spears, and the unanimous approval of the committee.
Secretary to the Board