Fall 2017 Wind, Brass, Percussion Concert Ensemble Auditions
Auditions are held for all students who wish to perform in a concert ensemble during the fall semester (Wind Ensemble, University Symphony, and Wind Symphony). Descriptions for each ensemble are available on the respective ensemble page. Below, is the necessary information regarding audition times and audition material. If you have questions please email Dr. Zastoupil: email@example.com
Sign up sheets for audition times will be in the band office August 1st. When signing up for an audition please include your full name, phone number, and an email address where you can be reached. All students must sign up for an audition time during the assigned instrument block. If you have a conflict (Pride rehearsal conflicts have already been approved) or have any questions regarding auditions, please email Dr. Zastoupil. We look forward to hearing you play!
Concert ensemble auditions will be divided into two “tracks” Non-music majors interested in Wind Symphony only will audition on “Track 1” requirements, while music majors AND non-music majors interested in Wind Ensemble/University Symphony and Wind Symphony will audition on “Track 2” requirements.
TRACK 1: Non-music major students interested in placement in Wind Symphony ONLY. (**Non-majors interested in placement in Wind Ensemble/University Symphony must audition on “Track 2” requirements below.)
- Woodwinds and Brass: choose two contrasting etudes (one technical and one lyrical).
- Percussion: choose two solo works (concert literature or etudes). The two works must be for two different instrument types (for example snare and timpani, or snare and a mallet instrument, or a mallet instrument and timpani - NOT two mallet instruments.)
- ALL: Total time should be no more than 3 minutes. Please provide 2 copies of the etudes for the audition panel.
TRACK 2: Music majors and non-music majors interested for placement in Wind Ensemble, University Symphony, and Wind Symphony.
- Excerpts for Track 2 are available in PDF format below. Students should prepare all excerpts to the best of their ability. Listening to recordings for style and interpretation is encouraged!
Wednesday, August 16
- 11:30am-12:00pm: Oboe/Bassoon
- 12:00pm-1:30pm: Flute
- 1:30-3:15pm: Clarinet
- 5:00-6:15pm: Saxophone
Thursday, August 17
- 11:30-1:30pm: Low Brass
- 1:30pm-3:15pm: Trumpet
- 5:00pm-6:00pm: Horn
Saturday, August 19
- 9:00am-12:00pm: Make Up times (must be approved by an ensemble conductor in advance)
- 1:00pm-3:00pm: Percussion
Instrumental Audition Guide
Please understand that part assignments for ALL ensembles will be based on the results of these auditions. Parts will be rotated when possible, but the most challenging parts and leadership roles will be assigned to those students exhibiting the highest level of preparedness and musicianship in these auditions. Additionally:
- All auditions will be heard by the instrumental ensemble faculty and applicable studio teacher, as available.
- Report for your audition 10 minutes prior to the scheduled time for your instrument group. A monitor will be present to assist you
- The audition excerpts have been carefully marked. Please adhere to the musical instructions indicated. You are encouraged to listen to reference recordings
- We assume you will play the correct notes and correct rhythms. In addition we are listening for quality of tone and intonation as well as intentional and expressive musicianship.
All Brass, Woodwind, Percussion, Strings (except guitar) must audition for and play in an assigned instrumental ensemble for seven (7) semesters (brass, woodwind and percussion students are also required to complete two semesters in Pride Marching Band).