Periodic and Annual Reviews
As per Faculty Senate approved criteria: A general education course coordinator, with assistance from faculty who teach the course will document and assess student learning based upon the proposed general education plan. Documentation of an assessment/course review will be uploaded every four years (see Tentative Timeline below). Use of annual reports and CGEIP feedback from the annual reports will be useful in preparing the periodic review. The periodic review will take place every four years; however, course coordinators should follow their course review process as indicated in the original proposal approved for admission into the MSU Revised General Education (beginning Fall 2014).
Information that will be included in your Periodic Review
- Reflection on each of the Specific Learning Outcomes (SLOs) the course covers (reflection should include the following information and be approximately 250 words):
- Level of success meeting Specific Learning Outcome
- Evidence used to assess
- How was the original proposal modified or refined?
- What items were chosen for action based on assessment?
- What actions did you take based upon your reflection of the assessment?
- Optional: Upload an assessment tool, assignment or other material that was used to assess student learning of general goal and specific learning outcome (to send these materials email it to Council on General Education and Intercollegiate Programs with the subject containing Periodic Review Attachment and the Course Code).
- Summary on how General Goals are met, based on the reflection of the SLOs (approximately 150 words).
- Syllabi for each instructor for the previous academic year (submitted as one PDF in an email attachment to Council on General Education and Intercollegiate Programs with the subject containing Periodic Review Syllabus and the Course Code).
- Enrollment data summary. Reflect on the enrollment data that is provided to the Course Coordinators and Department Heads since the last periodic review. Do you see this maintaining the same, decreasing, increasing? Explain your answer.
Periodic Review Form
Click on the link below to take you to the Periodic Review form in order to complete and submit it at your appropriate date/time listed below (NOTE: to login, use your MSU username@MissouriState.edu and not your official MSU email).
Period Review Timeline
Foundations area courses – Spring 2021
- First-Year Seminar, Written Communications & Information Literacy, and Oral Communication (Due: February 15, 2021)
- Quantitative Literacy and Written Communication & Integrative and Applied Learning (Due: March 15, 2021)
Breadth of Knowledge: Human Cultures – Spring 2018
- Social and Behavioral Sciences (Due: January 15, 2018)
- Humanities (Due: February 15, 2018)
- Arts (Due: March 15, 2018)
Breadth of Knowledge: Natural World – Spring 2019
- Life Sciences (Due: January 15, 2019)
- Physical Sciences (Due: February 15, 2019)
Breadth of Knowledge: Public Affairs – Spring 2020
- US & MO Constitutions/American History & Institutions (Due: January 15, 2020)
- Cultural Competence (Due: February 15, 2020)
- Public Issues (Due: March 15, 2020)
CGEIP will review the submitted material and discuss it in the month(s) following the due date of the periodic review. CGEIP will then provide the Course Coordinator and Department Head comments on their periodic review submission.
General Education Annual Report Process
A general education course coordinator, with assistance from faculty who teach the course, will document and assess student learning based on the proposed general education plan. Documentation of an assessment/annual report will be uploaded on a yearly basis (see below for exact due date for report). The annual report should not be lengthy (approximately three pages). These annual reports will be useful when it comes to preparing the periodic review. Course coordinators accumulate and review student learning per the course proposal that was submitted at the time of revising the General Education or adding the course into our current General Education (courses proposed reporting results to their department at a minimum annually on the applications).
Information that will be included in your Annual Report
- Time, date, and a list of faculty who participated in the course review
- Data discussed (student work, scores, a common question, etc.)
- Conclusions reached regarding the next steps for the course
- Items chosen by the faculty for action
- Follow-up plans and action regarding the course
- Recommendation for items that need action at higher levels than the department.
Annual Reports are due on September 15th (or the following Monday if this date falls on a weekend) each year. The annual report should reflect the previous academic year material. If examples of data or assessments would like to be submitted, email it to Council on General Education and Intercollegiate Programs with the subject containing Annual Report Attachment and the Course Code. A copy of the annual report will be provided to the course coordinator and department head after submission.
Annual Reports will be reviewed by CGEIP during their monthly meetings in the Fall semester (Timeline for annual report course review will be posted in April minutes each year).
Annual Report Form
Click on the link below to take you to the annual report form in order to complete and submit it by September 15th each year (NOTE: to login, use your MSU username@MissouriState.edu and not your official MSU email).
Note: Deadline extended to Sunday, October 1.