Nominations are due Friday, February 21st, 2020
Opportunity for Recognition! Call for Nominations for the 2020 Excellence in Advising Support Award.
The success of academic advising at Missouri State University depends on the contributions of academic advisors, student advisees, and many helpful individuals on campus who support academic advising through their work. To accomplish our mission, the Provost’s Academic Advising Council recognizes how much we rely on individuals across campus who are not academic advisors. In recognition of the contributions of these individuals, we are offering a Missouri State University Excellence in Advising Support award to be presented during the spring semester 2020.
The Provost’s Academic Advising Council chair will present a plaque to an individual, team, or office who has made a significant contribution to support academic advising at Missouri State University and/or to support academic advisors in their ability to assist their advisees. The recipient of this award will be recognized during the Master Advisor reception on March 26, 2020, from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Davis-Harrington Welcome Center.
The selection committee will be comprised of four Academic Advising Council members (two staff members and two faculty members) and a previous award winner.
To nominate an outstanding individual, team, or office, please put together an application packet that follows the following guidelines:
- The nominator needs to write a letter of recommendation detailing the contributions of the nominee, stating clearly how the nominee(s) directly or indirectly support(s) advising.
- Include a summary of the individual’s job description or the mission of the team or office.
- Clearly identify whether an individual, an office or a team is being nominated.
- The nominator or nominee has the option of including up to four supporting items, such as letters of recommendation, brochures, manuals, news releases, and/or website link(s).
- Nomination packets will be evaluated based on the materials submitted.
- Please use Times New Roman, 12 font type for letters of recommendation/nomination.
- The nominator needs to submit five completed nomination packets to Ross Hawkins, Academic Advising and Transfer Center, University Hall 109. To be considered, nominations must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. Friday, February 21. Nomination packets will not be returned.
Qualifications for nomination:
- This award recognizes significant contribution(s) to academic advising at Missouri State University by an individual, an office, or a team.
- The nominated individual(s) must not have any assigned advisees.
- The nominated individual must be employed at the university as a full-time faculty or staff member for a minimum of two years at time of nomination. If an office or team is nominated, the office or team must be in existence for a minimum of two years at the time of nomination.
- The nominator needs to write a letter of nomination for the nominee.
- Current members of the selection committee are not allowed to nominate or to be nominated. Current members of the Provost’s Academic Advising Council are not eligible to receive the award.
Excellence in advising support can take many forms. The Provost’s Academic Advising Council wishes to recognize individuals, teams, or offices whose work has a substantial, positive impact on the delivery of academic advising services at Missouri State University, either through participation in a particular project or through sustained outstanding service to advisors and students.
Previous winners include:
- Brian Edmond, Computer Services (2013)
- Jenifer Kautzman, Previously from Veterans Services (2014)
- Christy Graham, Graduate College (2015)
- Darr School of Agriculture Staff (2016)
- Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Academic Achievement Center Staff (2017)
- College of Nursing staff members Cynthia Hagenhoff and Lori Vaughan (2018)
If you would like to know if an individual, team, or office is qualified to be nominated or if you have questions pertaining to this award, contact Ross Hawkins, RossHawkins@MissouriState.edu, or 417-836-5258.
Excellence in Advising: Graduate Student Contribution Award 2020
The Excellence in Advising: Graduate Student Contribution Award exists to recognize the contributions of graduate students to the success of academic advising at Missouri State University.
Qualifications for Nomination:
- Nominee must be a current Missouri State University student at the time of nomination and at the time of award acceptance.
- Nominee must not have received this award previously or have previously received a MACADA/NACADA graduate student annual conference scholarship.
- Nominee must be one of the following:
- Graduate assistant with advising responsibilities or a significant contribution to an academic advising-related project.
- Graduate practicum/internship student with advising responsibilities or a significant contribution to an academic advising-related project.
Criteria for Selection:
- This award recognizes an individual graduate student’s demonstration of outstanding academic advising or significant contribution to an academic advising-related project.
- Candidates for this award may be nominated by a Missouri State faculty or staff member or student.
Nomination Packet should consist of:
- Letter of nomination, which should be no more than two single-sided pages or one double-sided page (Times New Roman 12 font type).
- Nominee’s resume.
- Supporting materials (optional ): Could include advisee feedback, academic advising-related projects (printed or electronic), additional letters of support, samples of advising notes, or other relevant materials
- Five copies of the completed nomination packet must be submitted to Ross Hawkins, Academic Advising and Transfer Center, University Hall 109. To be considered, application packets must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 21. Application packets will not be returned.
The award recipient will be selected by a committee made up of faculty and staff members of the Provost’s Academic Advising Council and a previous award winner. Members of the award committee may not nominate or write letters of support for nominees. The recipient of the Excellence in Advising: Graduate Student Contribution award will receive a plaque at the Master Advisor Reception on March 26, 4 to 5 p.m., Davis-Harrington Welcome Center. If possible, the recipient will also be nominated for further state or national recognition.