Master Advisor Reception 2016
William H. Darr College of Agriculture
Award Winner Dr. Erin Buchanan and President Smart
Award Winner Darren Wienberg and President Smart
Provost's Academic Advising Council
The Curtis P. Lawrence Award for Excellence in Advising Award
In recognition of outstanding academic advising, two Missouri State University Curtis P. Lawrence Excellence in Advising awards will be presented during the spring semester 2017. One will honor a faculty advisor, and one will honor an advisor who is a member of the professional staff. Each recipient will receive a $1500 cash award, presented at a reception to honor all Master Advisors.
To nominate an outstanding advisor, please submit the name by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 14 to Kathy Davis, Director of the Academic Advisement Center. Candidates may be nominated by current students, alumni or colleagues. Submit the name in a short e-mail to email@example.com.
After the nomination is received, the advisor will be notified and asked to submit application materials that will be due on Friday, January 27 at 9:00 a.m. Once submitted, application packets may be used for two years. A selection committee will be co-chaired by Juli Panza and Nora Cox, past award recipients.
Qualifications for Nomination:
- Nominee must have a minimum of two years of service to Missouri State at the time of nomination as a full-time employee with on-going academic advising responsibilities and currently assigned advisees.
- Nominee must be a current Master Advisor.
- Nominee must not have received the award in the previous three years.
If you need to know whether an advisor is qualified to be nominated, contact Kathy Davis at 836-5258 or KathyDavis@missouristate.edu.
Criteria for Selection:
- Knowledge of campus information and resources and use of that knowledge in helping students.
- Knowledge of major and career-related information and academic policies and use of that knowledge in assisting students.
- Demonstration of advising as a priority activity.
- Use of innovative advising techniques and/or development of advising materials or systems.
- Effective documentation of advising sessions through “Advising Notes.”
- Reasonable accessibility to advisees and effective use of available time with advisees.
- Efforts to create positive relationships with students.
- Support for the needs of diverse students and for initiatives devoted to accessibility and inclusion.
- Support of advisor training and development programs and efforts to improve advising services at Missouri State University.
Questions regarding the Curtis P. Lawrence Excellence in Advising Awards and the Master Advisor Program should be addressed to:
Kathy Davis, Director of the Academic Advisement Center
University Hall, Room 109