Nominations are due Friday, February 12th
The 2016 Excellence in Advising Support Award
The success of academic advising at Missouri State University depends on the contributions of academic advisors, student advisees, and many helpful individuals on campus who support academic advising through their work. To accomplish our mission, the Provost’s Academic Advising Council recognizes how much we rely on individuals across campus who are not academic advisors. In recognition of the contributions of these individuals, we are offering a Missouri State University Excellence in Advising Support award to be presented during the spring semester 2016. The Provost’s Academic Advising Council chair will present a plaque to an individual, team, or office who has made a significant contribution to support the field of academic advising and, equally importantly, to support academic advisors in their ability to assist their advisees. The recipient of this award will be recognized during the Master Advisor reception on March 23, 2016.
The selection committee will be comprised of four Academic Advising Council members (two staff members and two faculty members) and a previous award winner.
To nominate an outstanding individual, team, or office, please put together an application packet that follows the following guidelines:
- The nominator needs to write a letter of recommendation detailing the contributions of the nominee, stating clearly how the nominee(s) directly or indirectly support(s) advising. (5 copies)
- Summarize the individual’s job description or the mission of the team or office. (5 copies)
- Clearly identify whether an individual, an office or a team is being nominated.
- The nominator or nominee has the option of including up to four supporting items, such as letters of recommendation, brochures, manuals, news releases, and/or website link(s). If these optional supporting items are included, there should be 5 copies included.
- Please use Times New Roman, 12 font type for letters of recommendation/nomination.
- The nominator needs to submit completed nomination packets to Kathy Davis, Academic Advisement Center, University Hall 109. To be considered, nominations must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. Friday, February 12. Nomination packets will not be returned.
Qualifications for nomination:
- This award recognizes significant contribution(s) to academic advising at Missouri State University by an individual, an office, or a team.
- The nominated individual(s) must not have any assigned advisees.
- The nominated individual must be employed at the university as a full-time faculty or staff member for a minimum of two years at time of nomination. If an office or team is nominated, the office or team must be in existence for a minimum of two years at the time of nomination.
- The nominator needs to write a letter of nomination for the nominee.
- Current members of the Provost’s Academic Advising Council are not allowed to nominate or to be nominated.
Excellence in advising support can take many forms. The Provost’s Academic Advising Council wishes to recognize individuals, teams, or offices whose work has a substantial, positive impact on the delivery of academic advising services at Missouri State University, either through participation in a particular project or through sustained outstanding service to advisors and students.
If you would like to know if an individual, team, or office is qualified to be nominated or if you have questions pertaining to this award, contact Kathy Davis at KathyDavis@missouristate.edu or 417 836-5258.
Excellence in Advising: Graduate Student Contribution
The purpose of this award is to recognize the contributions of graduate students to the success of academic advising at Missouri State University.
Qualification for Nomination:
- Nominee must be a current Missouri State University student at the time of nomination and at the time of award acceptance.
- Nominee must not have received this award previously or have previously received a MACADA/NACADA graduate student annual conference scholarship.
- Nominee must be one of the following:
- Graduate assistant with advising responsibilities or a significant contribution to an academic advising-related project.
- Graduate practicum/internship student with advising responsibilities or a significant contribution to an academic advising-related project.
Criteria for Selection:
- This award recognizes an individual graduate student’s demonstration of outstanding academic advisement or significant contribution to an academic advising-related project.
- Candidates for this award may be nominated by a Missouri State faculty or staff member or student.
- Letter of nomination (nominated by MSU faculty/staff/student)-5 copies. Letter of nomination should be no more than two single-sided pages or one double-sided page (Times New Roman 12 font type).
- Nominee’s resume-5 copies
- Supporting materials (optional but if included—5 copies): Could include advisee feedback, academic advising-related projects (printed or electronic), and other relevant materials
- The complete application packet must be submitted to Kathy Davis, Academic Advisement Center, University Hall 109. To be considered, application packets must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 12. Application packets will not be returned.
The award recipient will be selected by a committee made up of faculty and staff members of the Provost’s Academic Advising Council and a previous award winner. The recipient of the Excellence in Advising: Graduate Student Contribution award will receive a plaque at the Master Advisor Reception on Wednesday, March 23 from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. If possible, the recipient will also be nominated for further state or national recognition.