Are you frustrated with the never-ending cycle of dieting, weight loss, and weight gain? Research shows that dieting is unsustainable: if you lose weight on a diet, you have a high probability of gaining it back, and sometimes more, within 5 years. Furthermore, weight cycling can put you at an even greater risk for health problems than staying at a consistent weight, even if you are overweight.
While it is difficult to get off the dieting bandwagon, especially in a culture obsessed with thinness and diets, it is possible! This 12-week, online, module-based program uses the fundamental teachings of Intuitive Eating developed by dietitians Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch. This evidence-based approach is backed by over 100 research studies and guides participants in relearning instincts buried by years of dieting; the goal is to regain trust and the connection to your body by increasing body attunement and removing barriers to attunement. Our Intuitive Eating program has been developed to give you tools to improve your overall health through an approach that is not weight-focused, but health focused.
10 Online Modules
- Ditch the Diet Mentality: Overview of the dieter’s dilemma, dieting statistics, how dieting leads to weight gain, impacts of dieting on physical and psychological health. Along with an interview with certified Intuitive Eating counselor.
- Honor Your Hunger: Hunger cues can feel different from one person to the next. In this module we are going to explore how to identify and begin tuning into your hunger cues.
- Food and Mood: Emotional eating is triggered by feelings and we may not realize we are using food to deal with emotions. This week’s module includes an evaluative component to determine what food rules and restricts you may be imposing that can lead to over eating.
- Challenge the Food Police: This week we will be discussing food rules; how they negatively impact your relationship with food and with your body, where they come from, and how to disregard them.
- Make Peace with Food: This week’s module focuses on the cornerstone of the Intuitive Eating philosophy, give yourself unconditional permission to eat.
- The Satisfaction Factor: The dieting roller coaster can end up removing the joy from experiencing your food. Food is not only meant to sustain life but to be a pleasurable experience. The goal of this module is to help you to practice eating what you truly want and to begin finding pleasure and satisfaction in eating again without the feelings of judgment and guilt.
- Fitness for Every Body: Exercise is a known benefit for a wide array of health factors. The key is exercising because it feels good, not to burn calories or punish yourself for eating a food you enjoy.
- Respect Your Body: In this module we will learn about treating your body with dignity, reverence, and admiration and meeting your bodies basic needs in order to build gratitude for the body you have.
- Mind Over Media: Our appearance-focused society places a different value not only on people who are fat, but also people who are too short, too tall, too flat-chested, not muscular enough, too big-nosed – anything that does not match “the ideal.” But it is worth the effort to gain appreciation for our own body and the bodies of others. It is much easier to take good care of something that or someone who is valued, accepted and respected.
- Gentle Nutrition: Our goal is to practice gentle nutrition and have a healthy relationship with food.
Spring 2021 Session Details
Access to the modules will open on February 1st.
Registration is limited to 25 participants.
Jaime Gnau, RDN, LD
The cost of the program is $25 and is noncredit fee waiver eligible.
The cost covers:
-10 online videos (Approximately 20 minutes each)
-10 virtual workbooks (2-4 handouts each)
-Weekly discussion prompts with moderator feedback
Registered users will receive an email with instructions on how to access the modules through Microsoft Teams.
Please register using My Learning Connection:
- Login at My Missouri State.
- Go to the “Profile” tab.
- Choose “My Learning Connection” under the Professional Development section.
- Once there, type Intuitive Eating into the search box at the upper right of the screen.
- Select the training and follow the prompts to complete registration.
Please contact us by emailing BenHunt@MissouriState.edu.