Dr. Stephanie G. Hein
Dept of Hospitality Leadership
Dr. Stephanie Hein is department head of hospitality leadership. She publishes and presents in the areas of curriculum development and review, student recruitment and learning, hospitality financial analysis and food service operations, and academic-industry collaborations.
Hein currently serves as a commissioner for the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration, immediate past chair for Springfield's Convention and Visitors Bureau, and is actively involved in the International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education.
- EdD, Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis, 2010, University of Missouri – Columbia
- MBA, Management, 2005, Missouri State University
- BS, Hospitality and Restaurant Administration, 1995, Missouri State University
- Certified Hospitality Educator, American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute
- HRA 720 Hospitality Change Management and Leadership
- HRA 499 Internship in Hospitality
- HRA 490 Advanced Hospitality Leadership
- HRA 310 Analyzing Financial Performance in Hospitality Operations
- Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration
- Board of Directors, Association of Hospitality Financial Management Educators
- Treasurer, International Council on Hotel Restaurant and Institutional Education
- Vice Chair, Springfield's Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Board of Directors Public Relations, Rotary International
- Seery, K., Barreda, A. A., Hein, S. G., & Hiller, J. L. (2021). Retention strategies for online students: A systematic literature review. Journal of Global Education and Research, 5(1), 72-84. https://www.doi.org/10.5038/2577-509X.5.1.1105
- White, W., Barreda, A., & Hein, S. (2019). Gastrodiplomacy: Captivating a Global Audience Through Cultural Cuisine-A Systematic Review of the Literature. Journal of Tourismology, 5(2), 127-144.
- Hein, S. G. (2013). Localized revenue implications of severe tornado outbreaks on the lodging industry. The Journal of Hospitality Financial Management, 21(1), 4-16.
- Hein, S. G. (2012). The learner-centered classroom: A case for applying learner focused strategies in the hospitality classroom. The Consortium Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 17(2), 27-39.
- Hein, S. G. & Riegel, C. D. (2012). Human resources and organizational management content in the hospitality curriculum: How professionals view it. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 11(2), 165-181.
- Hein, S. G., & Riegel, C. D. (2011). A systematic model for program evaluation and curricular transformation: A tale from the trenches. Annual ICHRIE Summer Conference Proceedings. Denver: ICHRIE.
- Hein, S. G. & Riegel, C. D. (2011). Hospitality industry professionals’ perceptions of the importance of content areas in the finance and accounting curriculum. Journal of Hospitality Financial Management, 19(2), 3-32.
- Hein, S. G. & Grand, M. (2011). Investigating hospitality student perceptions of academic integrity. The Consortium Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 16(2), 5-14.
- Hein, S., Ehlers, A., & Grand, M. (2007). An examination into the customer service of U.S. hospitality programs in the initial stages. The Consortium Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 11(1), 55 – 63.
Published chapters and instructional materials
- Barreda, A., Hein, S., & Forde, C. (2019). Real Estate in Hospitality Chapter. Hospitality: An Introduction 17th edition. Dubuque/Iowa: Kendall Hunt.
- Hein, S. (2007). Techniques of Food Preparation, 2e. USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Hein, S. (2004). Techniques of Food Preparation, 1e. USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Awards and honors
- Outstanding Achievement Award, Missouri State University’s Greg Onsto
- Springfield’s Twenty Most Influential Women of 2014, Springfield Business Journal, 2014
- Excellence in Service Award, College of Natural and Applied Sciences, Missouri State University, 2012
- Provost’s Academic Leaders Program, Missouri State University, 2009
- Faculty Fellow, Missouri State University’s Living Learning Communities initiative, 2007, 2009
- "Who Has Made A Difference", Missouri State University’s R.E.A.L. Bears Student Program, 2008-2010
- Master Academic Advisor, Missouri State University
- USA Funds Grant ($185,000), Spring 2015
- Darden Foundation Grant ($25,000), Spring 2008
- Missouri Beef Council Educational Grant ($16,719), Fall 2003–Spring 2009
Area of expertiseStudent affairs Tourism and travel
6 Common Job Interview Questions and Answers
Hospitality expert Dr. Stephanie Hein shares a few common job interview questions and answers.
Make the Most of Summer Travel
Hospitality expert Dr. Stephanie Hein offers some tips and advice on maximizing your summer vacation.
Feeling Stuck in Your Current Hotel Job? Tips for Moving up the Ladder Quickly
Hospitality expert Dr. Stephanie Hein explains how hotel employees can increase their chances of being promoted.