Dr. Puneet Prakash
Finance and General Business
Dr. Puneet Prakash is an associate professor in the department of finance and general business. He also holds the Baker Chair of Risk Management and Insurance. He has MS and MBA (IB) degrees from India, where he worked with Indian Airlines Limited in its supply chain management department before moving to the U.S. for his PhD in Risk Management and Insurance (RMI) from Georgia State University, Atlanta.
Prior to joining Missouri State in August 2017, Prakash was a tenured faculty member in the School of Business at Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond. He also spent two years as a faculty at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, in the industrial and management engineering department. He is a visiting faculty at several Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and has given invited talks at these institutions.
An avid researcher, Prakash has several top-notch publications to his credit including Journal of Risk and Insurance, Journal of International Money and Finance, and Journal of Risk Finance. Some of his technical research has appeared in engineering journals such as the Journal of Infrastructure Systems, a journal of the American Civil Engineering Society. He serves on the editorial board of International Journal of Engineering and Industries, and reviews papers for various journals including Asia-Pacific Journal of Risk and Insurance and American Journal of Business. Prakash has been selected as a member of the International Council for the Industry Association RIMS (Risk Management Society).
Prakash has taught a variety of courses in the risk management, insurance, finance and financial engineering areas. In his current position as the Baker chair, he is the point of contact for the RMI program at Missouri State University.
- PhD, Risk Management and Insurance, 2005, Georgia State University
- Principles of Risk Management and Insurance
- American Risk and Insurance Association
- Financial Management Association
- The Risk and Insurance Management Society
Research and professional interests
- Risk models
- Value of risk management
- Seasoned equity offerings
- Manu Gupta, Puneet Prakash (2018). Impact of Underwriting Insurance Risk on Bank Holding Company Behavior. Journal of Risk Finance, 19(4), 343-360.
- Manu Gupta, Puneet Prakash and Nanda Rangan (2018). Cross-Country Variability in Cost of Raising Equity: Evidence from Seasoned Equity Offerings. International Review of Finance. https://doi.org/10.1111/irfi.12201.
- Vinod Vasudevan, Puneet Prakash and Biswajit Saha (2018). Options Framework and Valuation of Highway Infrastructure under Real and Financial Uncertainties. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 24(3): 04018014.1-9.
- Manu Gupta, Puneet Prakash and Nanda Rangan (2017). Determinants of underwriting spreads internationally: Evidence from SEOs. Journal of Multinational Financial Management, 41, 1-22.
Awards and honors
- Recipient of summer research grants
- Recipient of the Kornblau Real Estate Center research grant
Area of expertiseBusiness
Expert Advice on How to Get the Best Car Insurance
Insurance expert Dr. Puneet Prakash offers insights about car insurance.
2019’s Best Cheap Car Insurance in Missouri
Insurance expert Dr. Puneet Prakash explains about auto Insurance rates in Missouri.