What is a Green Team?
The Green Teams program gives Missouri State University employees an opportunity to reduce the environmental footprint of their office or department and the campus as a whole. Green Teams commit to conserve energy and resources, as well as educate and engage their peers.
Green Teams achieve Leaves by participating in different aspects of the program. By starting a Green Team and completing the Green Office Certification Checklist, you achieve your first leaf. To get your second leaf, complete the Leaf Two Application Packet, which focuses more on engaging peers and setting goals to be more sustainable. A new Leaf Application will be released each year, we welcome feedback and suggestions for future Leaves.
The Goal of Green Teams:
- To significantly reduce energy and resource use at Missouri State University, to generate less waste and to create a more sustainable campus
- To use this effort to better educate students, faculty, staff and the community about best practices in sustainability
- To create a collegial atmosphere of cooperation among different units of the University, while promoting a friendly competition among them
Want to Start a Green Team?
Follow these steps to start a Green Team in your office or department:
- Choose an Eco-Ambassador – this person will serve as the primary contact for your Green Team. The Eco-Ambassador will complete the Green Team application and attend a short orientation
- Complete all aspects of the Green Team Application Packet
- Compile your member list* for your office or department, which includes faculty, staff and students with office space – these individuals make up your Green Team. You can add members to your team each time you apply for a Leaf
- Complete your first Green Office Certification Checklist (included in packet)
*You are no longer required to have at least 75% participation in your office or department. Also, in order to eliminate the need to print your Green Team Application, it is no longer required to gather the signatures of your members. Simply enter the names of your members directly on the electronic application.
Leaf Two Green Team
To become a Leaf Two Green Team, your office or department must set goals to become more sustainable and focus on engaging and educating your peers. In order to identify areas of improvement and potential projects, Eco-Ambassadors must complete a Green Team consult with the Sustainability Coordinator before becoming a Leaf Two Green Team. You will then choose at least three of the six projects listed in the application packet and explain how you implemented the project, including details on the outcome.
In an effort to save paper and ink, please submit your completed applications electronically to:
The Office of Sustainability: Sustainability@missouristate.edu
Eco-Ambassadors receive resources and information regarding sustainability, as well as education on how to best disseminate this information and increase peer participation. They also receive ongoing support from the Sustainability Coordinator.