Dr. Dennis V. Hickey
Dr. Dennis Hickey is the James F. Morris endowed professor of political science. His research and teaching interests include the International Relations of East Asia, National Security and American Foreign Policy. He has authored four books and was co-editor of three books. He has also published more than 50 scholarly articles and book chapters.
In addition, he has contributed dozens of op-ed pieces to newspapers, such as the China Daily, the Wall Street Journal, the Los Angeles Times, the Chicago Tribune, the Kansas City Star and the Taipei Times. He has also been interviewed by electronic media organizations including China Central Television (CCTV), Cable News Network (CNN) and The Voice of America (VOA); and quoted by print media organizations including the Associated Press (AP), Agence France Presse (AFP), People's Daily, China Times, China News Service, China Review News Agency of Hong Kong and the Singapore Straits Times.
In the area of service, Hickey has served as a consultant for a variety of U.S. governmental agencies, think-tanks and private firms, as well as served as director of the graduate program in international affairs and administration from 2000 to 2002 and from 2006 to 2008. In 1999, he was selected by MSU as a University Fellow in Research and he completed a second term in 2005. In 2000, he was elected to the post of deputy director of the American Political Science Association's Conference Group on Taiwan Studies and in 2002, he was elected to the post of director (term completed in 2005). In 2008, Hickey was a Fulbright Exchange Scholar at the China Foreign Affairs University in Beijing, China, and that same year he was named the James F. Morris endowed professor of political science. He presently serves as a research associate at San Francisco State University's Center for US-China Policy Studies and on the editorial board of the Journal of Chinese Political Science. From 2008 to 2010, Hickey was also a member of the Board of Directors of the Association of Chinese Political Studies.
- Ph.D., 1988, University of Texas at Austin
- M.A., Texas State University
- B.A. University of Texas at Austin
- American Foreign Policy
- Asian Politics
- Foreign Policy Decision-Making
- Introduction to American Politics
- National Security
- Association of Chinese Political Studies: Board of Directors (2008-2010)
- Journal of Chinese Political Science: Editorial Board
- San Francisco State University's Center for US-China Policy Studies: Research Associate
- University of Chicago's Center for East Asian Studies: Associate Member (2009-2012)
Research and professional interests
- International relations of East Asia
- Publishing numerous scholarly books, journal articles and op-eds in newspapers ranging from the Wall Street Journal to the Los Angeles Times
Awards and honors
- Director's Award for Outstanding Faculty Research, Honor's College, Missouri State University, 2014
- Foundation Award for Excellence in Service, Missouri State University, 2011
- Distinguished Service Award, Association of Chinese Political Studies, 2010, 2008
- James F. Morris Endowed Professor of Political Science, 2008-present
- Fulbright Exchange Scholar, China Foreign Affairs University in Beijing, China, 2008
- Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Humanities and Public Affairs, Missouri State University, 2006, 2001
- Excellence in Research Award, College of Humanities and Public Affairs, Missouri State University, 2005, 1999
- Excellence in Service Award, College of Humanities and Public Affairs, Missouri State University, 2004, 2002
- Foundation Award for Excellence in Service, Missouri State University, 2002
- Excellence in Research Award, Missouri State University, 1997
Area of expertiseGovernment, law and politics Asia
American Expert Commentary: Cai Best Accepts the 1992 Consensus
China Review News Agency
Asian politics expert Dr. Dennis Hickey explains why the Cai government should accept the 1992 Consensus.
The Inconvenient Truth Behind Tsai Ing-Wen’s Diplomatic Troubles
Asian politics expert Dr. Dennis Hickey highlights diplomatic challenges faced by Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-Wen.
US Warships Confronted or Heated up in the Context of the Taiwan Strait Trade War
Asian politics expert Dr. Dennis Hickey comments about security equation in the Taiwan Strait.
World in Two Minutes
Talk Media News
Asian politics expert Dr. Dennis Hickey addresses China's campaign to isolate Taiwan.
Taiwan Public Opinion and National Security
Asian politics expert Dr. Dennis Hickey discusses Taiwan's national security.
Sino-US Ties on Brink over Taiwan Travel Act
Asian politics expert Dr. Dennis Hickey criticizes the Taiwan Travel Act.
Paraguay President's Visit Throws Taiwan Diplomatic Lifeline
Asian politics expert Dr. Dennis Hickey comments on China's campaign to isolate Taiwan.