Speech and Theatre Education
Speech and Theatre Education (TD)
Major requirements (56 hours):
Students interested in teaching speech and theatre at the secondary level may choose one of two options: One option emphasizes theatre (see below) and the other emphasizes communication (see Department of Communication, Media, Journalism and Film). Both options meet state certification requirements for Speech and Theatre Education.
Note: Nine hours may double count in General Education requirements.
Major core (35 hours):
- Specific General Education requirements: COM 115(3), MED 120(3), PSY 121(3).
- COM 115(3), 322(3), 532(3), 534(3), 536(2); THE 130(3), 150(2), 151(1), 222(3), 323(3), 430(3); MED 120(3).
- Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of THE 491(6).
Theatre Option (21 hours):
Professional Education requirements (32 hours):
- Teaching methods and supervised teaching (15 hours): THE 417(3), THE 490(6), THE 491(6).
- Additional Professional Education Required Core and Competencies (17 hours).
- This program also requires compliance with Teacher Education for eligibility to enroll in Professional Education courses; admission to and continuance in Teacher Education; approval for supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification.
- This program also requires the following for eligibility to enroll in Professional
Education courses; admission to and continuance in Teacher Education; approval for
supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification. All GPA requirements include
both Missouri State and transfer grades.
- at least a 2.75 GPA on all course work attempted at all colleges attended.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the certificate subject area (major field of study) which includes all courses listed under major requirements.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in any additional certificate subject area.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the professional education courses which includes all courses in number 1 and 2 above; and no grade lower than a "C" in all professional education courses.