Speech and Theatre Education
Speech and Theatre Education (TD)
Major requirements (56 hours):
Students interested in teaching speech and theatre at the secondary level may choose one of two options: One option emphasizes theatre (see below) and the other emphasizes communication (see Department of Communication). Both options meet state certification requirements for Speech and Theatre Education.
Note: Nine hours may double count in General Education requirements.
Major core (35 hours):
- Specific General Education requirements: COM 115(3), MED 120(3), PSY 121(3).
- COM 115(3), 322(3), 532(3), 534(3), 536(2); THE 130(3), 150(2), 151(1), 222(3), 323(3), 430(3); MED 120(3).
- Public Affairs Capstone Experience will be fulfilled by completion of THE 491(6).
Theatre Option (21 hours):
Professional Education requirements (32 hours):
- Teaching methods and supervised teaching (15 hours): THE 417(3), THE 490(6), THE 491(6).
- Additional Professional Education Required Core and Competencies (17 hours).
- This program also requires compliance with Teacher Education for eligibility to enroll in Professional Education courses; admission to and continuance in Teacher Education; approval for supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification.
- This program also requires the following for eligibility to enroll in Professional
Education courses; admission to and continuance in Teacher Education; approval for
supervised teaching; and recommendation for certification. All GPA requirements include
both Missouri State and transfer grades.
- at least a 2.75 GPA on all course work attempted at all colleges attended.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the certificate subject area (major field of study) which includes all courses listed under major requirements.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in any additional certificate subject area.
- at least a 3.00 GPA in the professional education courses which includes all courses in number 1 and 2 above; and no grade lower than a "C" in all professional education courses.