Interfaith Engagement Certificate
This certificate is jointly offered by the Department of Religious Studies and the Department of Communication and is designed to equip students to participate in interfaith activities and to increase their cultural competence with religious diversity. The program will assist students in developing the knowledge base and communication skills to engage people with different orientations in and around religion. Students who complete this certificate will acquire a background to work with religious diversity in settings in the United States and across the globe.
This certificate is administered by the Department of Religious Studies.
Program requirements (16 hours)
- Required Core Courses (select two courses with two different course codes - 6 hours):
- One course in Communication Skills: COM 205(3)*, 260(3)*, 326(3), 332(3), 336(3), 410(3), 413(3).
- One course in Human Experience: REL 100(3)*, 332(3), 338(3), 346(3), 347(3), 368(3), 370(3), 378(3), PSY 533(3).
- One course in Religious Diversity: REL 110(3)*, 131(3), 330(3), 340(3), 342(3), 344(3), 350(3), 353(3), 355(3), 357(3), 360(3).
- Engaged Learning Experience (1 hour): REL 399 Independent Study or another approved course. Students in this program select a one-credit hour course that engages them in interfaith activities outside of the classroom. The director of the certificate program will assist the student in identifying an appropriate engaged interfaith project that is consistent with the aims of the certificate. The program offers a variety of engaged learning experiences through campus and community partners. Service-Learning courses may be used to count for this requirement, subject to approval by the program director. Students may also propose their own engaged learning experience, which is subject to approval by the director of the certificate program. To request permission to enroll in the required independent study course, REL 399 or an appropriate alternative, contact the Director of the Undergraduate Certificate in Interfaith Engagement.
- All candidates must satisfy the General University Certificate Requirements.
*Courses may only apply to one area of the certificate program.
Attain a GPA of 2.50 or higher in the courses used to complete the certificate requirements.