Procedures for seeking candidacy
- Complete GEP 101 (or UHC 110 for Honors College students) in the first semester. Students are strongly encouraged to complete COM 115, ENG 110, and a Quantitative Literacy course within their first 30 hours.
- Apply through the Academic Advising and Transfer Center, University Hall, room 109, for admission to an individualized major.
- The student shall submit a written statement of intention, aims and background, and transcripts of prior work (minimum 2.00 grade point average required). In some cases, a personal interview or supporting information (such as faculty recommendations) may be required.
- A student accepted to pursue an individualized major selects three faculty advisors from departments in which the student will work. No two faculty members shall represent the same department. These faculty members shall comprise the student’s advisory committee. The student shall designate one member as the major advisor.
- It shall be the responsibility of this advisory committee to approve the student’s degree program. It is also the responsibility of this committee to evaluate the student’s transcript and determine the number of credit hours previously earned which will be applied toward the hours required for this major. The approved program, including a recommended title, shall be submitted to the Academic Advising and Transfer Center for final approval
- A minimum of 25 credit hours must be completed after the advisory committee has approved the degree program.
- All agreements shall be filed as a part of the student’s degree program. Any alteration of the degree program must be approved by the advisory committee.