Foundation Award for Service
Dr. George Schmelzle
School of Accountancy
College of Business
I. Philosophy of Service
Service is an integral part of a faculty member’s responsibilities. Faculty members have an ethical obligation to be actively involved in service for the University, the profession, and the community. At Missouri State, I am active in service to students, my department, my college, my colleagues, the university, and the academy. That being said, given the University’s public affairs mission, my most significant service is the work I do as co-advisor to Beta Alpha Psi, an honorary accounting organization. The organization helps students become professionals, provides an arena for them to do service work for the community, and allows them to compete versus other chapters in competitions. Some of the service projects our students partook in just this past year included working at Eden Village (helping out with cleaning and landscaping), Ozark Food Harvest (packaging boxes), tutoring students, teaching senior citizens how to use technology, adopting a less fortunate family during the holiday season, helping out with a food drive, and participating in a “day of literacy” with the United Way. Beta Alpha Psi also helps develop students into professionals by participating in meetings with area professionals and successfully competing in Beta Alpha Psi’s nationwide “Best Practices” competition.
II. Examples of service including service to University, discipline and community
- Graduate Council (membership committee)
- Faculty Senate
- School of Accountancy Curriculum Committee (chair)
- School of Accountancy Promotion and Tenure Committee (chair since 2014)
- President of North American Accounting Association (2013)
- Program Chair, North American Accounting Association (2012)
- Board Member, North American Accounting Society (2006 to present)
- Associate Editor, Journal of the North American Accounting Society (2014-5)
- Program Chair, Society of Case Research (2012)
- Reviewer, Journal of Business Cases (2010 to 2015)
- Beta Alpha Psi co-advisor
III. Future Commitment to Service
I will continue to serve as Beta Alpha Psi advisor. I will also continue with my current committee requirements.
IV. Topics related to service for which you are available for presentations and/or consultations
Our Beta Alpha Psi group has been very successful in competitions (3 national championships). I would be willing to consult with other advisors on how to be successful.