Eligibility for Student Employment
International Students interested in being employed by the University should reference the applicable policy at https://www.missouristate.edu/policy/Op7_15_8_Internationalstudents.htm for requirements they must meet in addition to the requirements of this policy.
- All student employees must be degree-seeking.
- During the regular school year (fall and spring), the student must be enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours for the semester in which the student is employed.
EXCEPTION: If a student's final semester of course work requires less than half-time enrollment for graduation, the student can be considered half-time for student employment purposes. An exception form is available through the Office of Student Employment and requires verification from an academic advisor stating that the reduced course load will complete graduation requirements. This exemption would be applicable for one semester and applies only to continued employment from the previous semester.
- For summer, the student must be enrolled for three (3) credit hours. Students not enrolled in summer classes must have been enrolled for at least six (6) credit hours in the spring and be registered for at least six (6) credit hours for the upcoming fall semester.
NOTE: Students awarded Federal Work Study for the fall and/or spring semesters must be awarded separately for summer in order to continue working for the summer semester. Minimum enrollment of three (3) credit hours is required for summer work study eligibility.
- To work between semesters, a student employee must be registered for the minimum credit hours required for the upcoming semester.
- Students new to the University or those students ineligible for student employment the previous semester may not begin in a student position until the first day after commencement or end of finals of the preceding semester.
Any student employee who drops below the applicable minimum semester hours of enrollment, withdraws or is suspended from the University is not eligible to work as a student employee. Periodic reviews will be done throughout each semester to check for eligibility of student workers. Departments will be notified when violations are found. If the individual no longer qualifies for student employment and if the department wishes to continue the person as an employee, they may pursue, in accordance with the Staff Employee Handbook, employment in a staff position.
- A student employee who is not returning to the University the following semester must terminate employment by the last day of finals.
- Students on academic probation (MSU or combined GPA less than 2.00) cannot be employed unless an appeal for an exception is approved by the Office of Student Employment. Appeal forms can be obtained at Student Employment Services. Work Study students not making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) must appeal through the Office of Financial Aid.
- During a semester, Graduate Assistants cannot hold any additional on-campus positions other than their graduate assistantship during the time of their appointment. Working between semesters is permitted and does not require approval from the Graduate College.
- Student athletes, whether receiving a scholarship or not, must complete required NCAA paperwork in the Office of Compliance prior to beginning any employment.