Facilities Management

Op3.12-7 Facilities Management

Facilities Management is responsible for maintaining and repairing university facilities as well as operating and scheduling building systems; providing utilities, grounds care, and custodial services; issuing keys through Key Control; and responding to work requests submitted to Work Management. Through the Campus Construction Team, Facilities Management provides minor construction and renovations in cooperation with Planning, Design and Construction.

Much of this work happens behind the scenes; however, work may be requested of Facilities Management through the submission of a work order. A work order will initiate a response to maintenance, custodial, or grounds needs as appropriate.

The Facilities Management Department consists of the following units which provide the services noted below:

  • Custodial Services
    • Cleaning
    • Event Setups
    • Recycling (paper and cardboard)
  • Grounds Services
    • Lawn care, landscaping and irrigation
    • Litter pickup/outside trash
    • Snow removal
    • Outdoor event support
  • Facilities Maintenance
    • Utilities
    • Energy Management
    • Building maintenance
  • Business Services
    • Work Management
    • Key Control and Lock Shop
    • Campus Construction Team

Administrative Service Request Website

Facilities Management is part of Administration and Finance which encompasses many departments providing service to the campus. In order to facilitate service requests to the various departments in Administration and Finance, please reference the Administrative Service Request website to guide you in selecting the appropriate course of action.

What is the process to have repairs and/or maintenance performed in my office?

Non-emergency (Most requests are non-emergency)

The request should be submitted electronically. This can be accomplished through the Administrative Service Request website or by going directly to the Facilities Management work request site.


Call Work Management, at 417-836-8400; after 4:30 p.m. call 417-836-5133.

Have the following information ready:

  • Specific location – building, room, suite, etc.
  • Contact name
  • Telephone number
  • Email address
  • Detailed description of the work to be performed

You will then be prompted to complete online specific information related to a work request. The creation of a work request will ensure correct budget information is utilized and that you receive updates to the status of the work via email. This will also allow you to query the work order status online.

What is the difference between maintenance and billable work?

Maintenance work includes basic, recurring work necessary to maintain university buildings and grounds in good repair and operating condition. Maintenance provides a healthy, safe and secure environment for education. This work is usually provided at no cost to the department.

Work that is within the space assigned to a department, such as the installation and repair of departmental equipment, locks for special objects, remodeling and redecorating are usually considered billable to the department.

All work assigned to the Campus Construction Team is billed to the requesting department. Campus Construction Team projects include, but are not limited to, installation of new electrical, renovation of office spaces, cabinetry and carpentry, and sidewalk repair. Smaller requests for Campus Construction Team work, such as minor new electrical, can be requested via a work order. Larger projects that may require design work, should be requested via Project Request Form through Planning, Design and Construction.

On a practical basis – what should I do?

  • Be aware of any necessary work orders for your department and monitor completion

  • Reconcile your actual expenses to the interdepartmental charge from Work Management. Email workmanagement@missouristate.edu or call 417-836-8400 for clarification.

May we do any of the work ourselves?

Building maintenance is provided by Facilities Maintenance. This facility-specific work should not be performed by building occupants. Equipment owned by the department that is not an integral part of the facility is the department’s responsibility to maintain. Facilities Management should be notified of any work on the equipment that may affect the building or its infrastructure.

Painting is the responsibility of Facilities Maintenance. A priority list of areas in need of painting is maintained and work is scheduled as staffing and resources permit. Requests for repainting areas, outside of the normal schedule, or changing room colors may be made through a work order and this work will be chargeable to the department. Facilities Maintenance will collaborate with the user and Planning, Design and Construction staff to select paint colors from a standard palette of colors.

What if the request involves design or construction work?

For construction that may involve any type of design work in order to complete, such as creating a new office space, installation of new millwork or cabinetry, or the renovation or construction of a new facility, contact Planning, Design and Construction.

What is the Custodial frequency for cleaning in my building?

The Custodial area posts their cleaning frequencies on their website. If you have any questions regarding cleaning frequency or need additional cleaning assistance contact Custodial Services at 417-836-5265.

Setting up for an event

How do I arrange for set-up/support for events on campus?

Information regarding Event Set-ups can be found in Op.11.07 Event Set-ups.

Facilities Management supports events by providing tables and chairs, podium, trash cans, recycling cans, electrical hook-up, custodial support, and a variety of other items and services. If tables and chairs are all that you need, you can place your electronic work order at the Facilities Management work request site. These must be requested with adequate time and information to permit scheduling. We suggest always allowing a minimum of five (5) days prior to your event. If a large or complex event, please allow more time for communication of needs.

To arrange for more complex events work with Event and Meeting Services. They will work to assure your event runs smoothly and they will make contact with Facilities Management for the necessary support and set-up.

Energy Management

Facilities Management is very conscious of the need to conserve fuels and reduce costs of utilities. We are continually on the watch for these opportunities and have a Certified Energy Manager on staff who is available to work with departments and to look at additional ways to reduce costs and improve efficiency of systems.

Additionally, we schedule space for energy efficiency by utilizing room scheduling for academic classes and events in 25Live to program unscheduled spaces to an unoccupied mode. We also promote consolidation of classes and events to fewer buildings, whenever feasible.

Questions or ideas contact our Energy Manager at 417-836-8984 or energymanagement@missouristate.edu.

Key Control

Key Control provides keys and key replacements to university facilities in accordance with the Key Issue Policy.

If you have any questions contact Key Control at 417-836-7689.


Please address any questions to Work Management 417-836-8400 or Facilities Management Administration 417-836-6865.