Who We Are
We are MSU students, staff, faculty, and other members of the local community.
We differ from each other in the religious beliefs, spiritual practices, or secular philosophies we follow.
We come together, across those differences, to promote inclusion, understanding, and justice for all.
Our Current Initiatives
- A Room of Reflection has been created in the MRC Annex to promote spiritual and/or interfaith communication and engagement for the Missouri State community. This space allows for individuals and small groups to come together in a quiet space for sanctuary and fellowship. The space is open during regular business hours and can be reserved after hours by emailing Multicultural Programs.
- Better Together Days will be held April 8, 2019 – April 13, 2019 with a different interfaith event each day. Join us in promoting worldview diversity and cooperative service on the Missouri State campus!
- Monday, April 8: Visit the Better Together Days table outside the PSU (inside in the event of rain) to sign up for all of the week’s events, participate in a photo campaign, and enter to win cool prizes. 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Tuesday, April 9: Gather with peple of different faith traditions, and no faith tradition, to learn about types of prayer/meditation in different religions. MRC Annex Room of Reflection, 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 10: “Faithful Sustainability” Interfaith Hunger Banquet. Jin the conversation about sustainability of the earth’s resources and how people of different faith traditions view sustainability through the lens of their faith. A free Guatemalan dinner will be served. O’Reilly Catholic Student Center, 847 S. Holland Avenue, 7:30 p.m. RSVP now.
- Thursday, April 11: Interfaith Day f Service. Get in your service hours or just show up and work together to make the world a better place. We’ll do a service project from 3-5 p.m. and then share a quick meal of pizza when we’re finished. O’Reilly Catholic Student Center, 847 S. Holland Avenue, 3-6 p.m. Stay the whole time or drop in for the time you’re available.
- Friday, April 12: Brunch Better Tgether. Come enjoy a free brunch and share conversation with people of many different worldviews. Enjoy good food and great conversation in a WorldCafe style format and leave with new friends. Baptist Student Union Building, 906 S. National Avenue, 12-1:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 13: Islamic Center of Springfield Open House, Reflect of the New Zealand mosque attacks, hear stories from the Muslim community, and have your questions about Islam and Muslims answered. Food will be provided. All are welcome to help usher awareness, appreciation, and respect to all members of our community. 5:30 p.m., 2151 East Division. RSVP now.
Student Interfaith Council
A new initiative beginning the Fall 2019 Semester!
Missouri State University’s Student Interfaith Council is an organization of 25 members representing residence halls, academic colleges, Student Government Association, Fraternity and Sorority Life, and generally students on campus.
The Student Interfaith Council also invites non-representing students and members of our campus community to our meetings. We especially encourage student leaders in campus ministries and other faith groups to connect with us.
- Promote understanding and respect of diverse beliefs by means of communication, dialogue, education, and advocacy.
- Provide a process for students to bring concerns to campus administration and other leadership about religious accommodation and inclusion.
- Help facilitate communication and organization of interfaith efforts happening in separate departments, offices and student groups across campus.
- Organize an Interfaith Day of Service each semester.
- Create programs and events to increase awareness and appreciation of worldview diversity on campus.
Interested in being a leader for inclusion on our campus? Spots are still open!