Dr. Hugh M. Gibson
- EdD, 2005, Applied Educational Studies/Leisure Studies, Oklahoma State University, Okla.
- MS, 1997, Recreation and Parks Administration, Western Kentucky University, Ky.
- BS, 1995, Sociology, Western Kentucky University
- LNT Master Educator Instructor
- American Safety and Health Institute Wilderness First Responder Instructor
- Red Cross Small Craft Instructor
- Red Cross First Aid/CPR Instructor Trainer
- Red Cross Wilderness First Responder Instructor
- American Canoe Association Instructor
- American Red Cross Moving Water and Kayak Instructor
- REC 152 Introduction to Recreation Sport and Park Administration Services
- REC 307 Outdoor Pursuits Land
- REC 309 Outdoor Pursuits Water
- REC 335 Practicum
- REC 423 Administrations of Leisure Services
- KIN 500 Outdoor Leadership
- KIN 600 Outdoor Leadership
Dr. Gibson has worked in several leadership positions for at-risk populations with the Bowling Green Parks and Recreation Department. He has worked as a camp adventure trip leader in the New England area, and adventure programming with the military MWR in Colorado. He has also had previous teaching experience at Western Kentucky and Oklahoma State Universities.
- Outdoor Nation, Campus Challenge Grant, 2015, PI Dr. Hugh Gibson, Tyler Usslyer, $1,000 , Awarded
- Paddle Nation Grant, MSU Volunteer Water Patrol, 2015, PI Dr. Hugh Gibson, Dr. Amanda Perkins, $2,500, Not awarded
- Action Grant Play Coalition, MSU/ONSR Volunteer Water Patrol, 2015, PI Dr. Hugh Gibson, $1,000, Not awarded
- Paddle Nation Grant, MSU/ONSR Volunteer Water Patrol, 2014, PI Dr. Hugh Gibson, Amber Earnhardt, $2,500, Awarded
- The Keen Effect Grant, Get O.U.T. (Outside Using Technology), 2013, PI Dr. Hugh Gibson, $2,500, Not awarded
- The Pack Project Activation Grant- Merrell, Volunteer Water Patrol, 2013, PI Dr. Hugh Gibson, $2,474, Not awarded
- Outdoor Nation Paddlesports Grant, Waterproofing the Family: Through education and skills, 2013, PI Dr. Hugh Gibson, Angel Obert, $2,475, Not awarded
- Camelbak Grant, Involving Millennials in the Environment, PI Dr. Hugh Gibson, Angel Obert, 2012, $1,900, Awarded
Research and professional interests
Peer Reviewed Contribution
- McClennen, J., Keys, A., & Dugan-Day, M. (2016). Social work and family Violence, 2nd edition, Theories, Assessment, and Intervention. Gibson, H. Springer Publishing Company. New York, NY.
Peer Reviewed Technical Report
- Gibson, H. (2018). National Recreation Parks Association Accreditation Annual Report.
- Gibson, H. (2017). National Recreation Parks Association Accreditation Annual Report.
- Edmonston, C., Gibson, H., Lentz, E., Riecks, J., Huntsman, E., Mckenzie, M., Spice, T., Jackson, K., McCullough, J., Wakelin, T., Jepsen, R., Munns, H., Wheeler, J., King, E., and Pope, R. (2017). Basic Boating Knowledge Water-Jet Propelled Boats. Lexington, KY. National Association of State Boating Law Administrators.
- Edmonston, C., Gibson, H., Lentz, E., Riecks, J., Huntsman, E., Mckenzie, M., Spice, T., Jackson, K., McCullough, J., Wakelin, T., Jepsen, R., Munns, H., Wheeler, J., King, E., and Pope, R. (2017). Basic Boating Knowledge Sailing. Lexington, KY. National Association of State Boating Law Administrators.
- "Strategic Partnerships: Filling the Void to Make a Win-Win Solution in Your Community" and "Facilitation: The Lost Art which We All Have," US Play Coalition Conference, 2015, Clemson, SC
- "Creating a Legacy: Mentoring Tomorrow's Leaders," International Conference on Outdoor Leadership, 2015, Norman, OK
- "LNT for Paddlesports," National Paddlesport Conference, 2012, Folly Beach, SC
Awards and honors
- Nominated for the Award for Excellence in Study Away, Missouri State University, 2017
- Advisor for Lacrosse Club, 2016-present
- Advisor Archery Club, 2015-2017
- Advisor for the Outdoor Recreation Club, 2009-Present
- Advisor for Recreation Sport, and Park Association 2003-2010, Co-Advisor 2013; 2017-present