To promote positive social change through experiential learning opportunities and foster understanding of Missouri State University’s public affairs mission.
By promoting a campus culture that inspires community engagement, Community Involvement & Service aspires to develop students who are active citizens of enhanced character, sensitive to the needs of community, competent and committed in their ability to contribute to a global society, and civil in their habits of thought, speech, and action.
In our work to support and enhance the Public Affairs Mission, we value:
- Cultural Competence
- Ethical Leadership
- Community Engagement
- Social Change
- Active Citizenship
Community Involvement & Service offers a series of opportunities for the MSU community, including:
- Ongoing service experiences
- Large scale service events in the Springfield community
- Immersion Trips
- Connections to local community agencies
- Service resources, including reflection and education
We are committed to the ongoing success of both community-based programs in Springfield and MSU students, faculty, and staff through reciprocal partnerships.
Service is just one way you can get involved in the greater community and help contribute to social change. Through service, you are making a larger impact in the community than you can ever imagine.
- Students getting involved with service are helping agencies accomplish their goals.
- Volunteers help others in times of difficulty, when things just don’t go right.
- Service promotes understanding of diversity including issues of ableism, racism, sexism, and many others.
- Students also gain crucial leadership skills including self-confidence, critical thinking skills, conflict resolution, and desires towards social change.