Department Heads’ Meeting Minutes
January 11, 2007 – 3:30 p.m.
Michael Sheng (HST), Rich Moore and Brendan McKiernan (MIL), Pam Sailors (PHI/ECO), Beat Kernan (PLS), Jim Moyer (REL), Karl Kunkel (SOC/ANT/CRM), Lorene Stone and Victor Matthews.
- Upcoming Deadlines/Important Dates
January 16 Spring classes begin
January 22 AAA (PSU 400, 3:00-4:30 p.m.) The compensation matrix will be discussed and
attendance is encouraged.
January 23 CHPA All-College Meeting (STRO 002, 3:30-5:00 p.m.)
January 25 LEAD: Budgeting with Kent Kay and President Nietzel leading the discussion (PSU 313,
January 26 Deadline for Department Heads to notify Dean of recommendation for appointment/
non-appointment of first-year faculty.
January 29 Dean’s List Photo (STRO Atrium, 2:00 p.m.) Students will be approximately 10 minutes
late for class, and the Dean asked that these students be excused by instructors so that
they can be included in this photograph.
- Congratulations were extended to Michael Sheng (HST) on his recent marriage.
- Dean Stone exhibited CHPA’s new advertisement in the Springfield Business Journal as a College recruitment tool.
- The Department Head Document has been forwarded by the Provost to President Nietzel for approval.
- Dean Stone asked Department Heads to start thinking about possible nominees from CHPA for the recently announced Public Affairs Professorships. The specific guidelines will be announced soon by the Provost.
- A policy initiated by the Provost will henceforth require all proposed curricular items to be discussed with Dean Stone on an information basis prior to submission to the College Council.
- The University has abolished the rank of Lecturer and reclassified that title to Instructor.
- Dean Stone announced her approval of all summer school classes submitted and reiterated that summer GA requests are due on January 26.
- After discussion, it was decided that Department Head meetings would continue to be held every Thursday at 11:00 a.m. in the Dean’s conference room.
- A COAL draft of faculty duties and responsibilities was distributed and discussed as a possible future forerunner with university-wide acceptance.
- A handout outlining a new CHPA Dean’s Fellow in Public Relations was distributed and discussed. The Department Heads were supportive of this position. Dean Stone stated that she will announce this position at the All-College Meeting. Department Heads were asked to encourage interested faculty to apply. The position will begin as soon as possible.
- Dean Stone submitted two ideas to the Department Heads on a proposed CHPA Incentive Program:
-Compensation for submission of external grants
-Compensation for Program Directors/Graduate Directors
After lengthy discussion, the Department Heads endorsed this proposal. Dean Stone will develop the language and propose a set monetary amount per semester or reassignment time. Information on the CHPA Incentive Program will be announced at the All-College Meeting.
- The CHPA Hiring Plan for FY 07-09, as well as the College’s Budget Request for FY 08 were distributed and discussed. Dean Stone submitted six items to the Provost for consideration for funding next year. The Provost asked for further justification/documentation for only one item – additional graduate assistantships.
- In a Compensation Plan update, Dr. Matthews announced the status of CHPA Faculty Activity Reports and those who had yet to submit these reports to him. The Compensation Matrix will be discussed at the January 22nd AAA meeting. College compensation/personnel committee members will be invited to this meeting.