Detecting Media Bias
What to look for when accessing media for information
- Who are the sources? Broad spectrum provides fairness and accuracy
- Diversity of those running a news outlet should reflect the communities it serves
- Is the point of view of those affected by an issue represented in coverage?
- Are there double standards in portrayal?
- Loaded language influences public opinion – watch for terminology associated with
- Are stories of importance to only a certain group of individuals featured more prominently
than those of great significance to many?
- Extreme language
- Appeal more to emotions than to logic; emotion makes people less discerning
- Issues oversimplified or over-generalized
- Limited view of topic presented
- Webpages dedicated to controversial topics likely to have a bias
- Lack of presenting alternate points of view