Cellular/Wireless Service Policy and Procedures
Op12.01 Cellular/Wireless Service Policy and Procedures
The effective date of this policy is March 4, 2008. [This policy was updated December 5, 2011, to reflect the removal of individual employee cell phone allowances.]
Missouri State University recognizes in 2011 most individuals possess cellular/wireless equipment and associated services. For this policy, cellular/wireless equipment is defined as follows: cellular/wireless telephones, data cards, personal digital assistants (PDAs), or other telecommunication devices that have voice, text, and/or data capabilities, typically involving a service contract. This policy establishes methods for making University-owned cellular/wireless service and equipment available to departments for whom the University deems cellular/wireless service is necessary.
The University will not contract for cellular/wireless service for individual employees. In rare cases, if approved by cost center heads, cellular/wireless services may be provided to departments for mission critical University related activities.
Department owned cellular/wireless devices and plans
Cellular/wireless devices and associated services may be made available to departments that have multiple staff sharing a single device for on-call rotations, for devices used to test or support University networking and telecommunication related services, for emergency/disaster recovery purposes, or similar. To obtain departmental service for shared or mission critical devices, the cost center head must complete and submit a request. Upon receiving the request, Networking and Telecommunications department will assist in determining the most effective service plan and equipment, and will establish appropriate service arrangements.
Department owned cellular/wireless devices and/or services are strictly limited to official University business. In the rare circumstance in which an employee must use a University-owned device or service to place or receive a personal call or text/data message, the employee must reimburse the University. Keeping in mind that the department owned device is not for personal use, the reimbursement rate will be based on a standard overage cost of $0.25 per minute and/or text/data messaging, regardless of whether the usage falls within the allotted rate plan. If the actual cost is greater than $0.25 per occurrence the employee will reimburse the University at the rate assessed by the vendor.
Mission critical needs
A University mission critical need for having cellular/wireless devices and/or services are defined as:
- Communication related needs for responding in the case of an emergency or crisis where an alternate type of communication device has not been issued (e.g., Public Safety Dispatch officer) or,
- Frequent travel requirements across a geographic area away from the campus or workstation where considerable amounts of time is spent in transit (e.g., Work Management employees that share a cell phone and are frequently not at a stationary work location) or,
- Special services such as Wireless Priority Service (WPS) and/or Government Emergency Telecommunications Service (GETS) privileges are issued (e.g., Additional rate plan is assessed to a personal cellular account for WPS service) or,
- Devices used to test or support University networking and telecommunication related services (e.g., shuttle bus tracking system; WiFi hot spot device for student related off-campus activities such as the Debate team competitions).
Consideration to any cellular/wireless service not identified in the Mission Critical Needs of this policy will require approval and written consent by the President or the Provost.
Cost center heads are responsible for determining the expected usage that will be incurred to cover the mission critical need for the cellular/wireless device and service plan. The Networking and Telecommunications department will identify and provision the appropriate service and/or device based on the proposed usage requirement. This will include the appropriate plan for the number of minutes, text messaging, data, and/or other features that are required.
- Voice Service - This service is intended to cover the voice cellular/wireless service portion of the expense for monthly voice service costs.
- Data Service for PDA/Smartphone - This service is intended to cover the data service portion of the monthly service costs.
- Data Service for PC Data Card, Tethering, or Mobile Hot Spot - This service is intended to cover the data service portion of the monthly service associated with a computer data card or device that provides data services to one or multiple devices/end-users.
- Text Service - This service is intended to cover the text messaging portion of the monthly service costs.
- Bundled Service - When appropriate any combination of the services listed above can be combined to meet mission critical University activity needs.
Each month the Networking and Telecommunications department will review the department owned cellular/wireless invoice for accuracy of charges. Upon completion of the review, the invoice will be forwarded to the department for payment processing. Department heads will ensure proper usage of cellar/wireless services each month by reviewing the invoice and submitting the invoice for payment. All personal use is to be marked on the invoice and the employee responsible for the usage is expected to reimburse the University for any such charges.
A completed Report of Money Received form and a highlighted copy of all entries on the monthly invoice for personal calls and text/data messages must be remitted to the Bursar's Office along with the payment within 30 days after the department receives the invoice.
Cost center responsibilities
Cost center heads must annually evaluate whether a business need continues to exist for cellular/wireless services and devices, and that the expense amounts are appropriate. Termination of the services and return of all associated equipment is required if the need no longer exists.