Dr. Susan Robinson
- DPT, Creighton University
- MM, Viola Performance, University of Michigan
- BM, Viola Performance, University of Michigan
- PTE 710 Introduction to Physical Therapy
- PTE 722 Physical Agents and Mechanical Modalities
- PTE 732 Electrotherapeutic Modalities and Clinical Electrophysiology
- PTE 792 Vestibular Rehabilitation
- PTE 760 Research
- PTE 773 Patient Management Advanced Differential Diagnosis
Dr. Robinson's clinical practice is focused on the treatment of individuals with work-related injuries, vestibular dysfunction, and peripheral neuropathy. She has a special interest in performing arts medicine, treating individuals with injuries resulting from playing a string instrument.
Dr. Robinson currently practices part time in the Missouri State University Physical Therapy Clinic. Dr. Robinson served on several university committees including the Graduate Council and the Library Committee. She serves as the department's representative to the library and is chairman of the Department's Equipment and Facilities committee.
Dr. Robinson has been a member of the Executive Board of the Missouri Physical Therapy Association (MPTA) and has served as Chairperson of the Southwest District of the Missouri Physical Therapy Association (SW MPTA), previously serving for four years as Secretary and one year as Vice-Chairperson of the SW MPTA. She also served as Secretary of the MPTA for six years.
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- Missouri Physical Therapy Association(MPTA)
Research and professional interests
Dr. Robinson is currently collaborating with colleagues from the Department of Physical Therapy with several areas of research:
- Himes MK, Robinson BS. Can the use of old-age simulation suits impact student perceptions and empathy towards aging individuals? FCTL Curriculum Innovation Grant $3500. Poster presentation APTA CSM 2022.
- Cahoj, PA, Robinson, BS, Himes, MK, Cook, JL. Association of Balance and Risk for Falls, Physical Activity Levels, and Bone Mineral Density. Faculty Research Grant for $3750 to cover cost of DEXA Scans for 50 participants. Poster presentation APTA CSM 2022.
- Robinson, BS, Himes, MK, Cheatum K, Wilson K, Willenborg K Normative Values of Multidirectional Perturbations Using the BalanceTutor Treadmill. Data Collection Completed Fall 2021.
- Himes MK, Robinson BS. Can the use of old-age simulation suits impact student perceptions and empathy towards aging individuals? Himes, MK, Robinson, BS, Daniel TE, Keller, JD. Can a portable balance device effectively predict fall risk in community-dwelling older women? Submitted to the Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, December, 2019.
- Shaw, JL, Robinson, BS, Himes, MK, Holland, L, Mosley, G, Kraft, C, & Mulcahey, R. (2018, March). Does hands-on guarding influence performance on the Functional Gait Assessment? Accepted for publication in the Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy, October, 2018.
- Himes, MK, Moore, ES, Robinson, BS, Daniel, TE. Can lower extremity strength and lower extremity blood flow predict the score on the Functional Gait Assessment? Accepted for publication in the Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Journal, June, 2018.
- Himes, MK, Moore, ES, Robinson, BS, Daniel, TE. A predictive study of fall risk in Cardiac Phase II Rehabilitation Patients. Accepted for publication on UIndy ScholarWorks, University of Indianapolis, September 7, 2017.
- Robinson BS, Cook JL, McCormick Richburg C, Price SE. Use of an electrotactile vestibular substitution system to facilitate balance and gait of an individual with Gentamicin-induced bilateral vestibular hypofunction and bilateral transtibial amputation. Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy. 2009; 33: 150-159.
- Cahoj PA, Cook JL, Robinson BS. Efficacy of percutaneous vertebral augmentation and incidence of physical therapy intervention following vertebral compression fractures in older adults: a systematic review. Journal of Geriatric Physical Therapy. 2007; 30:31-40.
- Robinson BS, Kincaid A. Repetitive motion in perception of tactile sensation in the fingers of string players. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 2004; 99:1171-1183.
- Robinson BS, Gordon JM, Wallentine SW, Visio M. Relationship between lower extremity joint torque and the risk for falls in a group of community dwelling older adults. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice. 2004; 20:155-173.
- Robinson BS. Rehabilitation of a cellist after surgery for De Quervain's disease and Intersection syndrome: a case report. Medical Problems of Performing Artists. 2003; 18:106-112.
- Robinson BS, Gordon JM, Wallentine SW, Visio M. Effectiveness of physical therapy intervention in decreasing the risk for falls in a community-dwelling aging population. Journal of Orthopaedic Nursing. 2002; 21:55-69.