Note: most social media user accounts created on behalf of a University unit will require an email address during signup. Ensure that the address used is not a personal email address (for example: John_Doe@yahoo.com) but is either a communal account that can be shared by other members of your University unit (for example: firstname.lastname@example.org) or your BearPass Email (for example: JohnDoe@missouristate.edu).
To create a YouTube account:
- Navigate to YouTube.
- In the top right of the page, click the Create Account link.
- Select your username and enter the basic information.
- If you have a Google account for your University unit, you can use it to sign up for YouTube. YouTube and Google will share the password and account information, so you can use the same information to log into either account. Otherwise you will need to enter your University unit's email address for verification and sign-in, choose a password, and complete the word verification to proceed.
When choosing a username be sure to follow the guidelines for University units: abbreviate, shorten, and use acronyms to condense the title of your unit yet retain a familiar and unique identity. Usernames are limited to 20 characters.
- A confirmation email will be sent to the email account you entered. Login to your email account to retrieve the message and follow the confirmation instructions.
Managing and uploading content
To upload and manage your video content on YouTube, please reference the following support pages on YouTube's Help section:
- How to upload a video
- Supported video formats
- How to create a playlist
- Channel design and customization
- YouTube essentials
YouTube profile pictures
When creating new or modifying existing avatars and profile pictures on YouTube, users should know that avatars:
- Should be 800 pixels by 800pixels.
- Be aware that this will be automatically scaled down to 88px by 88px (and used as small as 36px by 36px) within the site.
- Maximum file size is 2 MB.
- Text is not advised for these pictures because of the small thumbnail size.