Note: most social media user accounts created on behalf of a University unit will require an email address during signup. Ensure that the address used is not a personal email address (for example: John_Doe@yahoo.com) but is either a communal account that can be shared by other members of your University unit (for example: email@example.com) or your BearPass Email (for example: JohnDoe@missouristate.edu).
- Navigate to Twitter's sign-up page.
- Enter the basic information required and click Create my account.
- Once you have done this, you can set advanced information through the Settings link that will better suit your purposes.
- You can also begin to find other users to follow by searching for them and keep track of your tweets with your user page.
Twitter username conventions
There is a limit of 13 characters for all usernames. Think first and foremost about searchability. Search engines such as Google and Twitter's own search engine will pull up accounts based on keyword relevance. You will have more followers by picking something obvious and relevant.
Consider these examples when choosing your name:
- Departments - twitter.com/MSU[department name or abbreviation]
- Development and Alumni Relations - twitter.com/MSUalumni
- Marketing and Communications - twitter.com/MSUmarketing
- Student Affairs - twitter.com/MSUstudents
When you are creating new or modifying existing avatars on Twitter, it is important to note that Twitter avatars:
- Should be 400px x 400px.
- Will be used at 75px x 75px (or even 48px x 48px) within the site.
- Maximum file size is 700 KB.