Missouri State University realizes the importance and value that social media tools and websites offer faculty, staff, current and future students, alumni and others. These guidelines are to provide direction and clarity with respect to social media and the University’s participation to allow for it to be a positive experience for all those who participate.
Guidelines for all social media sites
- Be respectful of copyright, fair use and intellectual property rights of others and of the University. For guidance, refer to the Multimedia Guidelines or contact the Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning regarding Fair Use guidelines.
- Obey the terms of service of any social media platform on which you have a web presence.
Guidelines for institutional social media sites
- Departments, University units or organizations that have a social media presence should contact the office of web and new media to ensure that all institutional social media sites coordinate with other Missouri State University sites and their content.
- The Web Policy considers social media sites a component of a University website. The website supervisor is responsible for any associated social media sites.
- Supervisors for institutional social media sites must follow and enforce the Comment Guidelines.
- As described in the Commercial Activity Guidelines, commercial activity is not allowed on institutional social media sites.
- When possible, always link back to the Missouri State University website. Posts should direct visitors to content that resides in the Missouri State University web environment.
- Posts on institutional social media sites should protect the University’s institutional voice by remaining professional in tone and in good taste. No individual Missouri State department, unit or organization should construe its social media site as representing the University as a whole.
Guidelines for personal social media sites
- Do not use Missouri State University logos for endorsement on any personal social media sites.